• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Greetings from a hip-hop listening, horror-loving, mushroom-hating Dad.

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

JamieRae

Basic
LitBits
Thanks for welcoming me into your community! I'm a creative-film-design type by day at a social enterprise, alongside putting pen to paper and spending many hours turning film scripts into drawings - I've been a storyboard artist since 2008 and a client of mine introduced me to Litopia a few weeks ago.

My love of reading, film, and its language has now at the age of 35, bled out into a desire to write fiction - short stories primarily, and eventually, I'd love to write a novel. I'm doing a lot of reading about people writing stories and procrastinating on my own ideas until I get over the imposter syndrome. Entering into writing fiction is extremely new to me (weeks or months old) but every day I feel more compelled to open a blank Google Doc and go for it. As of now, I have a handwritten notebook with ideas and musings.

I'm a proud father and step-father. I love hip-hop music and am an avid horror film explorer - the weirder/grislier/unusual the better. I'm exploring themes of horror and the supernatural for my own stories, particularly around sleep. Mushrooms are the work of the devil, as is celery and The Big Bang Theory. Yes, I love Stephen Kings' work (cliche, right?) but also looking for other writers in the genre that I can explore.

That's enough from me and if you've made it this far there's hope for me yet - excited to explore Litopia, and connect with you and other writers!

Welcome aboard @JamieRae! Stories must be baked into your bones! You should check out Pop Up guest, Peter Laws. He’s a minister writing horror (I thought mild horror, but damn fine writing and stories).

Welcome aboard @JamieRae! Stories must be baked into your bones! You should check out Pop Up guest, Peter Laws. He’s a minister writing horror (I thought mild horror, but damn fine writing and stories).
Hey RK - that's awesome thanks so much for sharing, and I guess there must be some stories in here somewhere but sometimes it's like pulling teeth trying to find them! I will go and check Peter and his work! What do you like to write?

Hello @JamieRae and welcome! Your projects all sound great, especially writing horror stories around sleep. Have you read Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker? (Non fiction). That's a beauty. Full of well-researched information. I was wide eyed reading about the damage I was doing to myself writing till 2 and 3 in the morning. Did it stop me? Nope. But at least now I know why I feel crap the next day :)

It's good to see you here — make yourself at home. Once you get to know the place, check out the Writing Workshops and don't be shy about offering your own critiques of others' work. Your opinions as a reader are as valid and important as anyone else's.

I'm one of the Guardians on Litopia. If you have any questions, please get in touch. I look forward to seeing you around the Colony! :)

Welcome to another horror writer! Although mine are more soft-core with no gore and almost no blood, it's still all about the fear of the unknown, the dread of what lies in the shadows whether it's in the things around us or in our minds.

Thanks for welcoming me into your community! I'm a creative-film-design type by day at a social enterprise, alongside putting pen to paper and spending many hours turning film scripts into drawings - I've been a storyboard artist since 2008 and a client of mine introduced me to Litopia a few weeks ago.

My love of reading, film, and its language has now at the age of 35, bled out into a desire to write fiction - short stories primarily, and eventually, I'd love to write a novel. I'm doing a lot of reading about people writing stories and procrastinating on my own ideas until I get over the imposter syndrome. Entering into writing fiction is extremely new to me (weeks or months old) but every day I feel more compelled to open a blank Google Doc and go for it. As of now, I have a handwritten notebook with ideas and musings.

I'm a proud father and step-father. I love hip-hop music and am an avid horror film explorer - the weirder/grislier/unusual the better. I'm exploring themes of horror and the supernatural for my own stories, particularly around sleep. Mushrooms are the work of the devil, as is celery and The Big Bang Theory. Yes, I love Stephen Kings' work (cliche, right?) but also looking for other writers in the genre that I can explore.

That's enough from me and if you've made it this far there's hope for me yet - excited to explore Litopia, and connect with you and other writers!
Welcome aboard, hope you have fun here xxxx VH

Hello @JamieRae and welcome! Your projects all sound great, especially writing horror stories around sleep. Have you read Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker? (Non fiction). That's a beauty. Full of well-researched information. I was wide eyed reading about the damage I was doing to myself writing till 2 and 3 in the morning. Did it stop me? Nope. But at least now I know why I feel crap the next day :)

It's good to see you here — make yourself at home. Once you get to know the place, check out the Writing Workshops and don't be shy about offering your own critiques of others' work. Your opinions as a reader are as valid and important as anyone else's.

I'm one of the Guardians on Litopia. If you have any questions, please get in touch. I look forward to seeing you around the Colony! :)
Hi Ancora, thanks for the warm welcome! Yes I have listened to his book on Audible, fascinating stuff and it's one of those things that we all know we need more of but life is too fun to adhere haha. I'm excited to explore further and check out others' work - thanks for the guidance!

Welcome to another horror writer! Although mine are more soft-core with no gore and almost no blood, it's still all about the fear of the unknown, the dread of what lies in the shadows whether it's in the things around us or in our minds.
Thank you! :) I enjoy a wide range of horror when watching it (Japanese horror being a particular favourite sub-genre), and I don't think I want to write explicit and gratuitous gore pieces as I agree with you that it takes the imagination a little away from the reader. I would love to read some of your stories!

Hello @JamieRae

A very warm welcome to Litopia. Hope you enjoy it. Here's a good link to point out a few of the key areas of activity.
How-to Guide

But, don't be shy. Best thing to do is dive right in.

If you need any further help getting around the colony, then please send me a PM and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

Can't agree on the mushrooms, though. :) Although celery... yeah, like eating green metallic paper.

Greetings. Agree that mushrooms are evil (the texture... the smell...), though thought BBT was OK until Amy joined the cast.

Our guinea pigs get all the celery.