Great tips for idea generation!

Claire G

United-Kingdom
I've just been listening to the Confessions of a Debut Novelist podcast - a great episode with the author of Freakslaw, Jane Flett. Two tips stood out to me:

1) Sit down and write a list of things that you're fascinated by, e.g. it could be anything from circuses to mental illness to sailing to the Ottoman Empire to space travel.

2) Analyse 4-5 books that you love, considering what themes and topics they have in common.

Perhaps they're obvious to you but to hear these strategies outlined felt very inspiring to me and I could tell how enthusiastic the author was about her idea for the novel she's promoting.

They say 'write what you know' and this can be helpful, but 'write what you're interested in' can be equally as valid. I love it when I randomly have an idea that I'm excited by, but why wait? I could follow these tips, use the answers as prompts to hopefully spark my imagination, all without having to wait for the muse to strike in her own (bless her) sweet time!

My own top tip is much less exciting: ironing is a great time to listen to podcasts!

Great tips, Claire. Thanks.

A top tip I heard from a podcast years ago was one of several things that brought me back to writing. From the Happier with Gretchen Rubin podcast, it was something along the lines of - Do what you loved to do when you were a ten-year-old.
I think that applies to finding things you are interested in too. The things we were interested in as children could be fertile ground for writing ideas.

Back