Game Of Thrones

Ten Mistakes Writers Make...

Are adjectival commas on the way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dare I say that I couldn't STAND the books? I forced myself to read through the first four (because I bought them as a set, and damn it I was going to read them), but it was such a rambling mess that clearly wasn't going anywhere, I couldn't bring myself to care at all about what any character did or said, and I just wanted him to have done with it and kill them all off in one fell swoop to put me out of my misery. My husband managed the fifth book, but even he, lover of those epic War of the Roses type stories, struggled. Didn't see the TV series (no TV), so maybe that was way better...but after reading the books, I wouldn't have wanted to see the show.

And, of course, the fact that the guy has gotten rich on this series makes me want to cry...no hope for me.

I have the first five books in paperback now, plus the huge tome with all the back stories, maps, etc. As soon as I finish the third Fifty Shades of Grey book (if I bother, that is. It's so BORING!!) and Go Set A Watchman, I'm going to tackle these. :)

I read the first three, and... I mean, I'm a fantasy author. You kind of have to love him, if you want to be a member of the party. I'll get to four and five, but he wasn't in any great rush to publish them, so...

You are never to speak of this, by the way — but I read The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, and could barely stomach Tolkien. Never read Return of the King. I hear it's the best one. Not particularly interested. That's borderline sacrilege, where I come form.

I read the first three, and... I mean, I'm a fantasy author. You kind of have to love him, if you want to be a member of the party. I'll get to four and five, but he wasn't in any great rush to publish them, so...

You are never to speak of this, by the way — but I read The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, and could barely stomach Tolkien. Never read Return of the King. I hear it's the best one. Not particularly interested. That's borderline sacrilege, where I come form.
I found all three LOTR books very difficult to get through. The writing style is sloth-like and I simply couldn't get used to it enough to stay interested in the books.

I've not decided if I want to try GOT in book or tv form, I was worried it might be too all over the place for me, the story lines might clash and confuse me. I enjoy Tolkien, (my dad had the simarrilion and forgotten tales on audio book for car journeys, he also used to read LOTR to me as a child) and aren't daunted by the number of books in the series for GOT.
If someone could give me an idea of what I'm in for, or a good recommendation, I may make a start.

I've not decided if I want to try GOT in book or tv form, I was worried it might be too all over the place for me, the story lines might clash and confuse me. I enjoy Tolkien, (my dad had the simarrilion and forgotten tales on audio book for car journeys, he also used to read LOTR to me as a child) and aren't daunted by the number of books in the series for GOT.
If someone could give me an idea of what I'm in for, or a good recommendation, I may make a start.
I'll let you know as soon as I start reading them. :) As far as the TV version, I was completely hooked from the first show. :)

They're extraordinarily convoluted. I mean, there are about three dozen POV characters, over 1,800 minor characters named, tens of thousands of years of fictional history developed, and prophecies described in book 2 that don't come into play until 2, 3 books later, things like that.

I eat that **** for breakfast. But it's sure not for everyone.

The show does a good job of covering the major points, without leaving out much worth missing.

They're extraordinarily convoluted. I mean, there are about three dozen POV characters, over 1,800 minor characters named, tens of thousands of years of fictional history developed, and prophecies described in book 2 that don't come into play until 2, 3 books later, things like that.

I eat that **** for breakfast. But it's sure not for everyone.

The show does a good job of covering the major points, without leaving out much worth missing.
LOL! That's why I also bought THIS and plan to read it FIRST. LOL!! :)

I haven't watched, read anything about GoT..shock horror! I have to consciously make the time investment at some point in the future to do so. I want to focus on the areas I just enjoy for now. That equally helps my writing. That's MG SFF for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten Mistakes Writers Make...

Are adjectival commas on the way out?

Back