Inspiration! Fantastic blog post from Chuck Wendig on the nightmare of AI and what we can do about it.

We all need a bit of it in these strange times...

Blog Post: Read. Write. Repeat.

Blog Post: Like Collo Hadn’t Warned Me

LJ Beck

Aug 20, 2022
New Zealand
I got pretty riled up reading this. Would be wonderful if this AI BS turned out to be a fad, and not a fait accompli as the money-makers want us to believe.

This brings to mind the April Fool's day email I recieved from K-lytics (copy-pasted below). My first thought was, 'FFS, DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!'

Hi Nikky,

Just dropping in with today's most buzzworthy news—Amazon has rolled out Kindle Weaver. It's the kind of announcement that stops you in your tracks.

I had to do a double-take myself! Just when you thought the publishing world had settled into its digital routine with or without A.I., this headline lands that is sure to send ripples across our publishing community.

In a way, it was only a matter of time before the giant made this move.

Get the full scoop here:
=> Link to article
=> Access via Facebook

Stay curious, stay positive.
Alex
K-lytics.com | e-book market intelligence for success

=> P.S. Latest K-lytics reports: Romantasy, Psychological Thrillers, Romantic Comedy, Mystery Thriller Suspense, and more are available here.

The article (it's open access but in case you want the summary):
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 5.19.20 PM.png

Huh! Go Google! Who'd a thought?

Basically, people just need to stop using it. Let it die a beautifully dead death.

OMG that April fools joke... not funny! I mean, WTF, you can "craft a custom novel" (that will be utter shit) or.. you can read a great story from a human just like you, who can feel things, just like you.

ugh.

Artbarf Robots. Let's see AI come up with something that good.

I wish someone would come upon with a product that meant writers could sell directly to readers. That would be more useful than a "Kindle Weaver."

A new future Kindle I've imagined looks like an actual book. You can take it to a bookstore/library and have it erased and a new book "printed" for a price. If it's a book you want to keep a copy of you can order a hard copy.

Thank yu for posting Lyse. Confirmation that AI is just a giant fatberg of information clogging up the internet.

Then there's this.

Last edited:
Artbarf Robots. Let's see AI come up with something that good.

I wish someone would come upon with a product that meant writers could sell directly to readers. That would be more useful than a "Kindle Weaver."

A new future Kindle I've imagined looks like an actual book. You can take it to a bookstore/library and have it erased and a new book "printed" for a price. If it's a book you want to keep a copy of you can order a hard copy.

Thank yu for posting Lyse. Confirmation that AI is just a giant fatberg of information clogging up the internet.

Then there's this.

Wow! Like you said, let's see an AI come up with something that good.

LOL - "I completely trust you." and I'll add... you billionaire-who-will-make-a-shitton-more-money-with-this.

Yeah, solving complex problems like climate change, and making your toast, and giving you shitty art while reducing the value of real art.

There's two very different areas of "AI" - one is to be used for complex problems, and one is just for the rich to get richer, and to devalue information and human experience. If the first one isn't derailed by the second one, meaning the makers would rather make money than progress, I might be cautiously optimistic.

Grrrrr..... I wish people would just stop using it and filling these greedy shitheads' pockets. It's an easy-out for some stuff, sure, but the long-term consequences are horrific, and cheaters never win.

PS Artbarf is my new fave word.

This brings to mind the April Fool's day email I recieved from K-lytics (copy-pasted below). My first thought was, 'FFS, DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!'

Hi Nikky,

Just dropping in with today's most buzzworthy news—Amazon has rolled out Kindle Weaver. It's the kind of announcement that stops you in your tracks.

I had to do a double-take myself! Just when you thought the publishing world had settled into its digital routine with or without A.I., this headline lands that is sure to send ripples across our publishing community.

In a way, it was only a matter of time before the giant made this move.

Get the full scoop here:
=> Link to article
=> Access via Facebook

Stay curious, stay positive.
Alex
K-lytics.com | e-book market intelligence for success

=> P.S. Latest K-lytics reports: Romantasy, Psychological Thrillers, Romantic Comedy, Mystery Thriller Suspense, and more are available here.

The article (it's open access but in case you want the summary):
View attachment 18069
Nice byline: Cassandra Mirth...

Blog Post: Read. Write. Repeat.

Blog Post: Like Collo Hadn’t Warned Me

Back