ENDINGS

The Ultimate Writing Schadenfreude

Updates – What’s Been Going On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eva Ulian

Nov 16, 2018
Venice - Italy
Every part of a book is important, we know that, yet much of the emphasis has been on the opening lines, without really thinking as much to the closing lines.

But aren’t closing lines just as important? After all, aren’t those that sell your next book?

Yes, because by the time you come to the end of the book, you have forgotten the opening lines, and the closing words are the ones you take away with you- if you take any at all.

But just as it is hard to come up with a great opening, isn’t it just as hard to come up with just a great closing? Yet, there is much less info on the endings of books as there is for beginnings.

As I’ve placed on my status here’s my dilemma:

“I know when you come near the end of a book you can't wait to write "The End", get it out of the way... never mind if the ending just fizzles out; but there again, making it go out with a bang seems to me like trying to put on a cork that's too big for the bottle.”

Can we here on Litopia provide some brainstorming on endings please?

Do you have a magic formula for a good ending?

What makes-up a good ending?

When you read a book do you secretly desire a happy ending?

What makes-up a disappointing ending?

Can you imagine all your main characters, plots and sub-plots all being resolved in one blow and still end with uncertainty- as they suggest?

Somewhere out there were some words that haven't left me (about endings):
Use the subplot resolutions to build to the final showdown, use the final showdown to demonstrate the story arc and character growth, use the denouement to show that life goes on.
One of the reasons I don't like the ending to HP is that it was wrapped up so neat there was no room to imagine what might have been ...
Although, I have to admit to failing a good ending in one or two of my stories, so not sure if I have any right to disparage what others have done; I can only offer how I like the stories I read to end.

Although, I have to admit to failing a good ending in one or two of my stories, so not sure if I have any right to disparage what others have done; I can only offer how I like the stories I read to end.
Disparage all you like @CageSage - you don't owe anyone anything. However, yes I would like to know just how you like stories to end. ;)

[how I] like stories to end
With the big question answered, with the characters moving forward, with a hint at what their lives may be on the next journey, with the satisfaction of completion but not ending. I like a story to end with the comeuppance of justice or reflection on 'what not to do' (the baddies come to a bad end, or are turned to the good side). I like to feel I won something, even if it's not victory.

For me, my brother (just a voracious reader) hinted at the secret to what he likes in a book, it's the 'aha' moment (at least for a positive growth character arc, which I'm writing). It would be different for a negative growth character (think Michael Corlone from The Godfather, his moment of embracing his dark side is when he lies to his wife), and again with a flat arc character (where they change the people around them).

For me in my current MS (although it's the same story I've always wanted to write, I've just deleted and completely started afresh about 5/6 times), I've written the ending very differently a number of times, I now have the MC realise something from a comment the antag says, that has her remember a warning she's heard a couple of times in the book, and that in turn changes her, helping her defeat the antag. So I've narrowed that down to two scenes. But it took me numerous rewrites before I pulled that together.

If you're struggling, I can recommend this book. He's an older writer who references older movies (like The Maltese Falcon) and as a lover of old movies, it resonates with me: The Last Fifty Pages: The Art and Craft of Unforgettable Endings eBook: James Scott Bell: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

With the big question answered,
I like the way you like your endings, I like those type of endings too and I am working up to something like that . However, my biggest problem at the moment is getting the big question answered... it hasn't been done yet and I'm at the end! Got to get my thinking cap on!

For me, my brother (just a voracious reader) hinted at the secret to what he likes in a book, it's the 'aha' moment (at least for a positive growth character arc, which I'm writing). It would be different for a negative growth character (think Michael Corlone from The Godfather, his moment of embracing his dark side is when he lies to his wife), and again with a flat arc character (where they change the people around them).

For me in my current MS (although it's the same story I've always wanted to write, I've just deleted and completely started afresh about 5/6 times), I've written the ending very differently a number of times, I now have the MC realise something from a comment the antag says, that has her remember a warning she's heard a couple of times in the book, and that in turn changes her, helping her defeat the antag. So I've narrowed that down to two scenes. But it took me numerous rewrites before I pulled that together.

If you're struggling, I can recommend this book. He's an older writer who references older movies (like The Maltese Falcon) and as a lover of old movies, it resonates with me: The Last Fifty Pages: The Art and Craft of Unforgettable Endings eBook: James Scott Bell: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store
You have great tenacity @RK Capps - your ending should no doubt give a great sense of achievement... Alas, I wish I was at that point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ultimate Writing Schadenfreude

Updates – What’s Been Going On

Back