Poll Disruption of service...

• Thread starter Octopus Messiah
  • Start date
J

Fanfare! Not bad...

I am so new here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all. No. I have no hair left. Luckily, I had none to begin with.
What amazes/astonishes/bewilders me is that there's no e-mail address to send my letter? REALLY? A broadband provider? Surely I must be missing something here... no, no, I actually have to PRINT out my letter and mail it to Durham. Which I *&^%ing did btw. Will see what happens.
Oh and Marc Joan: The cost of early termination is *only* £176!
Ah. Why don't you email BT to ask if they will waive it on this occasion ... er

BT is more of a giant intestinal parasite than a vampire. Prone to visceral larva migrans (there are probably some nice pictures on the internet, but I'm not going there...)

Woof. That was both fun and painful to read. I am so sick of companies thinking that customer service is a place they can skirt on. It's like the most important aspect!

How much money could companies make just by improving their customer service? As customers, are we complicit in this by not raising all kinds of hell for bad or non-existent customer service?

My own BT horror story.
Firstly paid £130 connection fee, despite no installation or activation of the line was required.
As soon as my bill was generated, my service was disconnected for being in debt. I would phone to arrange payment, being unemployed. Would get told by person 1 'when you make your first payment you'll be re-connected. Made the payment but still not connected, I was told by person 2- you have to pay half the debt before we can re-connect you. When this didn't happen, person 3- you have to pay the full amount to be re-connected. So we'd pay the full amount, only to have the next bill ready and be disconnected again.
This went on for 12 months!

BT then wrote to me to tell me; my service is being permanently terminated due to poor payment history but my contract had been automatically continued. So they expected me to pay another twelve months for a service I wouldn't receive.
In the year of my contract, I paid in full (approx. £150 per quarter) for maybe a months service. Then they wanted to charge me an early cancellation fee for breaking the new contract, which I didn't agree to renew, of £159! Needless to say, they didn't get a penny.

TBF this was nearly six years ago, I hope their policies have improved but it doesn't sound like it. I've been with TalkTalk for coming up three years now and no problems. Their customer service can be difficult at times but they tend to sort it and give compensation quite readily if the fault is theirs.

Obfuscation and bollocks re email. Good for you for doing the snail mail. I bet they bank on people not bothering. Virgin are also dire, so thanks, Marc, for the mention of Plusnet. I will remember that when I next move, which I will be within the next year or two.

Obfuscation and bollocks re email. Good for you for doing the snail mail. I bet they bank on people not bothering. Virgin are also dire, so thanks, Marc, for the mention of Plusnet. I will remember that when I next move, which I will be within the next year or two.
You're welcome. I've nothing but good things to say about Plusnet.
Good luck with the move. Are you staying in Lancashire? (it is Lancashire isn't it?)

Currently in coastal Lancashire, Lytham, near Blackpool :) Leisurely scouting Lancs, Westmorland, Cumbria, parts of Yorkshire.

Last edited:
And so the end game:
Yesterday (Sunday-- which, it must be said, BT engineers are not available) a BT customer service rep phoned me up to respond to the @£$%ing letter I had to print, stamp and send by snail mail like it's the 1995 because there is no-email to send complaints...
"Listen I'm going to be perfectly honest with you," she said, never a good sign. She went on to say I was *LUCKY* to receive £29 and that they were only legally obligated to give me £6! I said-- you actually only give people six quid for the loss of a week? What about the time, the hassle, the loss of other service dependent on broadband, the fact I had to print a *&^%ing letter and that we're having this conversation on a Sunday when even your engineers etc.

"Sir, I'm not going to lie to you..."

In a nutshell, after reiterating the complaints in the letter below (read at your peril) I was all, Susan(nhrname), I understand you have a callus on your soul from being a customer service rep in the complaints department at BT-- and I feel for you, I really do. And I understand you can't even offer me an apology, which is weird. All I ask, person to person, because I know you'd be as frustrated as I am if you were in my shoes, is that you kick my letter upstairs. Give it to your manager."

She said, "If I did that for every letter, they would be flooded."

"Darlin, that is not my problem. When is my contract up so I can register with one of your competitors? Thank you."

Close curtains:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dear BT,

First, let me say to whoever's reading this that I understand (hope?) you are a human being with feelings and I respect that. This letter is by no means personal and is directed to BT the corporate entity to whom I am a customer and to whom I am directing my frustration and disappointment. Everyone else I have dealt with during the course of my weeklong disruption of service, both in India and in England, has been courteous and professional. I've been waiting all week for you to contact me over the matters I discuss below, however you have not.. Since I have received nothing but a text saying my broadband had been restored, is why I’m writing to complain.

The fact that I cannot do so by e-mail and am forced to print and mail this to an address in Durham is both galling and inconvenient. You are clearly distancing yourself from your customers.

Years ago my wife chose not to renew our BT broadband/phone package due in large part to terrible, impersonal customer service. This summer when our contract with Talk Talk was up, after receiving loads of Come-back-to-BT type literature we decided to try you guys again.

On Tuesday, September 29 both my landline and my broadband went dead. I called the appropriate number. I was given instructions as to how I might sort the problem myself (turn your router on and off was suggested several times. I was told to take steps in the router handbook and on-line (!)). When these steps failed I was told that "a fault had been detected in my area" and that it would be sorted by Friday, October 2. When I explained I worked from home and this was unacceptable I was told sorry, the problem would be sorted by Friday, if not sooner. However, when I asked my neighbors whether their service was disrupted, none of them reported any problem, including those who had BT. I began to wonder about the size of "my area", and whether it included places other than my home

On Thursday I received a text telling me my broadband and phone line had been restored. This was not the case, both lines were still dead. Again I called the appropriate numbers. After lengthy hold times and conversations with several of your employees, I was told an engineer would be dispatched to my home. However, because they didn't work weekends, the first available appointment would Monday. When I expressed my frustration that an engineer hadn't been sent to my area when the fault was first detected, I was told there was nothing that could be done. When I called to talk to customer service about my unhappiness, I was immediately transferred back to India to be told an engineer would be sent to me on Monday.

Four times (thrice by employees required to read a statement and once by text) I was told that if the problem originated inside my home, I would have to pay a fee, most likely £129 for the engineer visit.

I was then told I could get free wifi through my mobile by accessing some kind o BT free FON network but the signal was too weak to pick up from my home.

This Monday, an engineer came and fixed my broadband. He told me that another engineer, while fixing or installing another line, must have knocked out our cable on the street somewhere. This means that I was without broadband and phone, for which I pay a premium, for 6 days because you couldn't be bothered to send me an engineer any sooner. Indeed it was another engineer (possibly even a BT engineer) who knocked out our cable. Whoever's reading this, please ask yourself how you would feel in my situation.

BT could have sorted this problem immediately yet chose not to. BT sent me a text saying my line had been restored when it hadn’t. BT then denied me service another four days. BT threatened me with fees on four occasions. BT could have written to me and my wife personally to offer apologies and recompense. BT could have dealt with my customer service complaint by NOT transferring me back to the technical support in India. Why on earth would I renew my contract after such lazy, impersonal treatment?

Please settle this with me soon. I am not the type of person to air a grievance of this nature on social media but I must admit I am sorely tempted. I now understand why you get such a bad rap in Which magazine.

I have just been in your on-line complaint chat for 45 minutes asking only for an e-mail address for me to send this letter of complaint. I was told there wasn’t one. Am I to believe that no-one on the customer-service end of a broadband supplier has an e-mail address? Why is this so hard?

Please address the following:

1. I was threatened four times with a £129 fee. What sort of compensation can I expect since the problem originated OUTSIDE my home? I was after all, deprived of service which I pay you for.

2. What sort of compensation can I expect for being denied access to other services I pay for which require connection to broadband? Netflix and Sky Sports come to mind, as does

3. What sort of compensation can I expect from having to use my mobile phone past my download limit because I couldn't get broadband, or connect to wifi from my home. That is another bill coming my way thanks to BT.

4. Please give me a reason why I should remain with-- let alone recommend-- your company in future.

It says on your website: “At BT our focus is on excellent customer service”

Please show me.

Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Sincerely,

Ian Winn

Last edited by a moderator:
Tweet that, can you, Ian? ...I'll RT.

We had a 'fun' time with BT moving in two years ago, not that Virgin were better.

Outing myself as a twatter novice: best way to tweet something of this length? recommended hash tags?
I could make a webpage out of it but surely there's an easier way. My will-to-live battery is at %20 on this and will soon need to recharge. x

Due to unexpected high demand, this service is currently experience some minor difficulties due to flooding. We will be back shortly, or later, or..... (insert your own answer) ;)

RUFKidding me? This just landed in my in-box:
Will to live flashing red at 8%.
View attachment 615
Wow.

200_s.gif

YES, I SUPPOSE IT'S THE ONLY WAY FORWARD (GIBBERS IN THE CORNER, HUGS KNEES)

(they have just sent me a customer satisfaction survey, if you can believe. Will to live, ebbing, urge to blog, increasing...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Send them a message back saying 'Are you serious? Are you sure that's a good idea?'
An old saying goes, don't ask the question, if you don't want the answer.

Okay, I gave myself fifteen minutes and did this (in twenty). Tweeted under @iansiballs
Can I get a retweet up in here (he says, wondering about/ignoring possible legal ramifications)?
https://ian-winn.squarespace.com/wtfbt/

Thanks for your support on this everyone (except, of course, BT) x

RT'd. Plus put my own boot in. I did warn Il Matrimonio not to go with BT, but he wouldn't have it. 10 days and 3 hours plus on the phone to India. Fine now, but what when we move?

BT are one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. At university I racked up a phone bill of over 100 pounds waiting on hold for 20 minutes several times (only to be cut off at least twice by "accident") trying to set up broadband and they ended up charging us a 130 pound "connection fee" to do so, without any forewarning of this.

It still galls me to this day. I break out in a cold sweat when I see BT logos.

“At BT our focus is on excellent customer service”

As ever, loving the disconnect between corporate propaganda and the total contempt with which they actually treat you.

Hope you can recover from your ordeal Octopus. Not sure I have yet...

I've switched everything--phone and internet--over to a little operation where I know the guy who answers the phone, because I've been in his office. The same person always answers the phone, and he fixes the problem. Now, if only the power would stay on...
But seriously, having lived 2 1/2 years in a mud hut with no electricity, running water, or phone (the nearest phone was half a day's travel away), I'm totally cool with no connection...

OMG you will not *&%$ing believe: I thought this thread was done but:

Last night, went to an event at the Groucho (ooh, dah-ling) and ended up sitting next to a guy looking to retire and publish his book. Turned out he's A BT HIGHER MANAGER!

Long story short, I went ballistic and finally-- FINALLY!-- got the apology I was looking for from the beginning. Pretty long walk to get there but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Fanfare! Not bad...

I am so new here

Back