Help! Cat calls

A

The Observer Effect - Just Write

Film Making On A Small Budget...Zombie Apocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw, but then it doesn't willingly snuggle next to you while you're sitting in bed reading a book!!

Or greet you at the door when you come home. Or come when you call it. Or meow back when you talk to it. Or sit on the back of your chair when you play games. Or be a generally agreeable companion so that the house doesn't feel so empty when you happen to be home alone.

The list goes on and on.

Cats are the best! :D

Good advice, all. Here's our pattern: littermates (2) from a shelter -- that way they'll never be lonely. Tabbies, especially the gingers and all-black cats (or tuxedo cats) are the most affectionate and loving. We prefer males, but girls can be fun, too. Kittens are preferable also, but the timing isn't good right now for them. Youngest you can find are the best bet. They should be spayed/neutered as soon as possible (as early as six months is fine for male kittens) You'll find your own way, I'm sure. Have fun!

Please, please also remember that cats are a 20 year ish commitment. A lot of pets end up at shelters in the weeks after Christmas because parents get animals for their kids' presents but the kids don't want them/won't take care of them, so the parents send them away. Please don't do that. It breaks my bleeding heart. :)

Well, thank you for all these replies and information! Much appreciated.

I thought I'd update you on progress. Predictable the letter from Father Christmas promising a cat went down a storm and today we went to our local RSPCA centre (animal rescue for those in the States). The idea was to register our interest, see and stroke some cats, get some more information, and so on. We saw several, but none were suitable for a child - too shy, too scratchy, one that sprayed when stressed. However, just as we were going we spotted one that we'd missed first time round. She was a 3 ½ year old stray, tabby/tortoiseshell, and the label said she was a bit shy and might not like being handled. She had had some dermatitis that was settling after treatment but was otherwise in good health. Spayed and vaccinated already.

But....

We had a look and she immediately bonded with my daughter - all of us in fact. She purred like a little machine, was eminently cuddle-able, and even lay on her back to let my daughter tickle her tummy. Was it my fancy or did she even look sad as we closed the door to leave?

Anyway, the upshot was that we have 'reserved' her! We will go for another visit and give her a blanket with our scent on it next weekend and if all goes well, she should be in residence here in a couple of weeks!

I'll post a photo of her. Suggestions for names welcome. The centre have called her 'Twitch' but I'm not so keen on that. Predictably 'Rumpleteazer' is high on the list. Also 'Marmalade'.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cat deserves a wonderful name, and there's an opportunity for you to have a literary feline. My companion of ten years was a silver tabby called Pushkin, named after the Russian writer Alexander Pushkin. Like the poet, playwright and novelist my cat was a romantic soul, but an absolutely rubbish fighter.

Just remember that whatever you name your new family member, you will be calling that name out loud from your door as you try to encourage her back in from the wilds. Your neighbours might give you odd looks if you bellow "Hermione where are you? Come in, there's a good girl. I've got a treat for you..."

When we got two cats, several years ago, I wanted to call them Armitage and Shanks, but my wife exercised her veto. So you would give me much vicarious pleasure if you called your new companion Twyford or Saniflo or perhaps Ceramica.

When we got two cats, several years ago, I wanted to call them Armitage and Shanks, but my wife exercised her veto. So you would give me much vicarious pleasure if you called your new companion Twyford or Saniflo or perhaps Ceramica.

Formica perhaps? If my hubby had exercised his veto, our pets would be called Semtex or Claymore.

After much debate and cajoling, one of my daughter's Christmas presents this year will be the promise for us to acquire a family cat. You will probably hear the squeals of excitement on Christmas morning wherever you are.

Now I grew up with dogs and am well versed in matters canine, but having one and leaving him on his own all day whilst I'm at work would just be cruel. However, I understand cats are more self reliant (can use the front door key, order dial-out pizza, etc) so it seems the obvious choice for a pet for an 8-year old girl, whose rabbit just isn't pressing the right buttons.

Now we have a vet coming to have Christmas dinner with us but I figured that the combined cat-expertise on Litopia would far exceed even her knowledge so...

What breed of cat should I be looking for? It needs to be happy to be cuddled half to death and play with children.
Boy or girl? (Yes, I'm sure there are more technical terms but I'm a beginner here - cut me some slack).
Are there tell-tale "avoid" signs (we'll be going to a rescue centre in the New Year).

Lastly, will it help me get published?

Thanks for any advice, people!

Cats don't need you. They may not even like you. Don't forget to feed them though. They will kill you.

It's a decent literary name, as Kathleen Hale's hero cat was called Orlando (The Marmalade Cat), starring in 19 of her illustrated children's books.

Winston Churchill had a liking for marmalade cats, insisting that one lived always lived at his home Chartwell, in Kent, and to be called Jock each time.

You never know, Bernard, your Marmalade may provide you with inspiration for your writing.

ppb-orlando.jpg

137451.jpg

In high school, I named our cats Artanis and Zeratul. Mom couldn't remember their names so she just called them A and Z.

But he looks like a... Kohen Gadol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

The Observer Effect - Just Write

Film Making On A Small Budget...Zombie Apocalypse

Back