Capitalising sentences

Thou Villainous Elf-Skins...

You are still allowed to be a fat female writer- how merciful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

echo.

Basic
Apr 26, 2016
Reading
A small concern, but nonetheless one that continues to irk me.

What's the deal with capitalising multiple words or entire sentences in novels? Like if you're shouting. Are you supposed to make the font size smaller? I've kept it the same for now but IT JUST LOOKS SO BIG. I'm sure I remember seeing it a little smaller in another book but now of course all examples of it escape me...

I've tried Googling this but searching 'capitalising sentences' inevitably just brings up a whole host of primary school level grammar guides...

I never saw the use of capitals with simultaneous reduction of the font size. I guess they should look gigantic to make a point :D I use mostly italics to mark special words/phrases, but one time I capitalized I left it as it is.

I have seen the CAPITAL SENTENCE mode a couple of times. I think it it is a way of emphasising a particular passage, not sure why as it detracts from the word flow.

Thanks for your input. Perhaps I should stop worrying about the typesetting when I've barely even finished the book.

But I shall CONTINUE THE SEARCH. CONTINUE THE SEARCH. Hmm. No. That makes it look like a munchkin is shouting...

I never saw the use of capitals with simultaneous reduction of the font size. I guess they should look gigantic to make a point :D I use mostly italics to mark special words/phrases, but one time I capitalized I left it as it is.
Terry Pratchett uses font size reduction (not so much capitals) to excellent effect. Have you seen his description of a bacon-lettuce-and tomato sandwich in "Snuff", I think it is?

A small concern, but nonetheless one that continues to irk me.
I've tried Googling this but searching 'sentences' inevitably just brings up a whole host of primary school level grammar guides...
The thing about capitalisation is that it punctuates the flow of the text. Generally we need frequent pauses; and full stops and beginning sentence capitals provide that opportunity for the text to settle into our brain receptors. But I don't see anything really wrong (apart from breaking a "rule") with using capitals for every word in a sentence, so long as you have a particular effect in mind and know what you're doing.

I'd cringe at that, a whole sentence in capitals should be a no-no in my opinion. There are other nicer ways of making something stand out, without appearing to SHOUT! ;)

I'd cringe at that, a whole sentence in capitals should be a no-no in my opinion. There are other nicer ways of making something stand out, without appearing to SHOUT! ;)
Sorry; I didn't make it clear. I meant a capital letter at the beginning of every word in a sentence, with or without a full-stop. It would simply be a very special effect - not shouting. Not sure what the effect would be, though - hesitation?

Terry Pratchett uses font size reduction (not so much capitals) to excellent effect. Have you seen his description of a bacon-lettuce-and tomato sandwich in "Snuff", I think it is?

I have never read Prachett *ducks away from all scandalized looks* :oops: I saw font reduction in various forms in experimental literature- beginning from Alice in Wonderland, through Life of Tristram Shandy up to House of Leaves. The effect can be stunning, if the author is skilful and uses it consciously. I like it a lot, but it seems like shaky ground- it's really easy to overdo it and then it looks like cheap tricks.

I sometimes use capitalization of first letters in the middle of a sentence for a comic effect (I hope...) as in:

"Among them circulated the second and third year students, the Socially Active Ones that volunteered to make the newcomers integrate- or otherwise belonged to some Student Association to Make You Feel at Home- whose primary interest was what department you’re in, if you’re enjoying your drink and having a nice time."

The one time I used capitals to spell out whole words was to give an impression of violent emotions:

"That did it- all the forbidden words started floating through his head. ENVY. HOPELESNESS . ANGER, he chewed on that one for a moment. IMPATIENCE then glittered before his eyes. JELOUSY- he slammed the empty vodka glass on the table- MY ROOM! MY BED!"

As I said, I find it tricky, but I like to play around with that :)

I have never read Prachett *ducks away from all scandalized looks* :oops:

Neither have I. That said, I do remember reading that he used to capitalise all of Death's speech.

I'd agree that overuse of it would be quite jarring, and your mind-voice might get sore with all that internal yelling. But maybe in small doses at the right points... Mine's mainly in there for comedic effect and because capitals just felt kind of fitting.

'Listen to this: BOTTOM PINCHER. Yesterday a SKINNY PERVERT sexually assaulted a woman in a busy street. The victim, a twenty two year old from Padworth, was walking along Oxford Road on Tuesday, March 15, when a man ran up behind her and PINCHED HER BOTTOM before running off.' Etc., etc.

Something about italicising 'skinny pervert' just doesn't feel as fun. Feels more... sinister.

Skinny pervert.

SKINNY PERVERT.

I shouldn't be typing this in the staff room; I'm getting some funny looks.

Perhaps Capitalisation COULD become a WRITING technique? Like poetic metre.

ThE WaVe
THE VALLeY
the mouNTain
THE ANGRY!
thE AnaRChiST

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T CAPITALISE A WHOLE SENTENCE OR GROUPS OF SENTENCES! IT MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT TO READ!
When the human eye/brain scans a text, we use all sorts of clues to decode it, including the shapes of letters (ascenders, descenders, etc). When you capitalise, you eliminate most of those differences, meaning a reader can't scan it easily. In small quantities (i.e. a word or two), you can use this to your advantage--it forces a reader to slow down to decode what you've written--but en masse, it's just tough on a reader and makes them want to stop reading.

My kids really liked the Jeronimo Stilton books, when they were of an age--those books use LOTS of text tricks like changing font size and colour, making words snake across the page, etc. to good effect for that age group. Those books seem to appeal to the reluctant reader, too, because they have so many additional clues to the word meanings that kids who struggle with reading have an easier time decoding the text.

As with anything, playing with text is a tool--it can be used well or used poorly. I admire authors who can do it to good effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thou Villainous Elf-Skins...

You are still allowed to be a fat female writer- how merciful!

Back