Can't decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've started my story over several times at this point and for this iteration my main character is waking upin a fantastical world with absolutely no memory and i'm not sure wether to (as it's my first story) have them humanised & potentially have a panic attack or shock taking in so much information at once or (as I will want my stories to be readable in any order) since this might not be his first adventure have a subconscious resolve that allows him to accept new things quicker, thoughts?

As it’s your first, I’d stick to normal emotions which readers can relate to. Practice getting those right before you adventure into something different. That’s just my opinion, doesn’t mean I’m right. I hate to sound cliche, but you should go with your gut.

Starting a book with a 'waking up' in a new world or new circumstance is a cliche that will make agents yawn. Perhaps write a bit about how he got to where he is. Perhaps he drank a drug or a spell was cast. Maybe start the book after he has been in his new world for a while and later on explain how he got there.

I agree with @Steve C. Start with an inciting event in the New World. Move forward from there and later, at an appropriate point, your character can refer back to what it felt like to wake up there.
I also agree with @RK Capps. Readers will want to relate (in some way) to your character's experience - that awkwardness/shock/horror (whatever suits your story) of being in a new unfamiliar place.

It may be worth writing a few scenes chapters to acquaint yourself with the 'waking up in a new world' experience of the character, but not keeping it in the story. Find the moment when he can't stand still and can't emote and can't move forward without a decision to get, do, become. Make that decision, with the accompany tension, the opening of the story. What led up to that point then becomes backstory to filter into the story as it becomes necessary (but not at the opening).
Start with a problem that has to be solved with an intention to act, followed by the action and problems that actions causes.
By action, I don't mean big action like car (or horse) chases, fisticuffs, etc. What I mean is the character acting on their own decisions to do something. 'I'll go to the top of the hill and see where the river leads. If it leads to [something I recognise], I'll follow the river.'
Then the obstacles create difficulties with reaching that goal. Climbing the hill is much harder than it looked, much higher, rocky/snowy/wet, animals want to eat him, etc. but he struggles through and reaches the top and the trees block his view so he climbs the tallest tree and looks out and sees ... nothing he recognises.

The above is a simple exercise to see progression through decision and action. The character makes a decision to get, do, become, and then acts on the decision. It's also how I, as a reader, learn about the character through what he does (agency), how he does it, and why he does it. I get to know him through his purpose and determination, his needs and fears, his goals and struggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back