Britishisms

News Amazon set to change e-book returns loophole

Show and tell Meet and Greet???

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, it's not British, it's English. I've never, ever, heard anyone Scots, for example, use it.

In fairness, it does tend to be used of children, when they do or say something cute. Or they look cute. Or someone shows a photo of a stonkingly plain child, and something positive, but relatively meaningless, has to be said...

I've also never heard it used from one adult to another, other than jokingly (ironically). But I don't get out much in the UK these days.

In my experience, it's not British, it's English. I've never, ever, heard anyone Scots, for example, use it.

In fairness, it does tend to be used of children, when they do or say something cute. Or they look cute. Or someone shows a photo of a stonkingly plain child, and something positive, but relatively meaningless, has to be said...

I've also never heard it used from one adult to another, other than jokingly (ironically). But I don't get out much in the UK these days.
I don't get out much in 'English' circles at all! My daughter, who now lives near Nottingham, uses the expression a lot and I never thought anything about it. Then the other day I saw a clip from a BBC show where the guest, an older actress, told a humorous anecdote and the host wrapped up by saying 'Ah, bless.' It felt wrong somehow but then I wondered if it was my North American instincts kicking in. If we say to someone, 'Ah, that's sweet', which I think is fairly equivalent, it can feel a bit patronizing.

I'm trying to think of one instance outside of TV where I've heard someone say it (in Scotland or Ireland) and the only one I can think of is an eighteen-year-old talking to another eighteen-year-old about a much younger kid. The listener (who happens to be English) responded with "ah, bless."

I'm trying to think of one instance outside of TV where I've heard someone say it (in Scotland or Ireland) and the only one I can think of is an eighteen-year-old talking to another eighteen-year-old about a much younger kid. The listener (who happens to be English) responded with "ah, bless."
I've only heard teens say it to each other.

Strange, as the expression sounds sort of quaint and old fashioned to me. But hey, I'm ancient!

Not at all. I think it is the perfect amount of shade. . Isn't this even enshrined in the original 101 Dalmatians. One of the cows says it of one of the pups when feeding it? But back then it is meant sincerely.
And, as I suggested, in that case it was used of a cute little one. Like that, it's not ironic.

Just saw it on Queer as Folk, Netflix last night. Character told that Japanese character asking for money is actually in love with him says it. That show was on BBC when we were in England. My son was a baby and I'd watch when I was up with him. Russell Davies before Dr. Who and Torchwood. I remembered it as explicit, but I'm not sure anything as explicit would make it to telly today even at 11pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

News Amazon set to change e-book returns loophole

Show and tell Meet and Greet???

Back