Bring Your Most Egregious AI Gaffs Here

Service Update The Steam Room Is Ready For You

The inexorable rise of AI. Maybe musicians have more to worry about than writers

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland

This from an academic writer I know.
Miriam A. Bibby
OK so I have been commissioned to write several articles related to D-Day and World War II. I am an excellent researcher, if I say so myself, mainly because I've had to be, and for decades I have written numerous articles on numerous topics. So D-Day is not a problem. In the course of my research, I came across an anecdotal story about inflatable cows used to disguise war factories by creating pastoral scenes. Didn't sound likely to me, though I did already know about the painting of stripes on cows - that's a famous one. Anyway, I asked Co-Pilot about the inflatable cows (just for bloody devilment!), and it came back with a load of stuff about them. Here's just some of it: "Certainly! During World War II, both the Allied and Axis forces employed an array of unconventional tactics for deception and misdirection. Among these tactics were inflatable cows, which played a role in creating illusions on the battlefield. Let’s explore this fascinating aspect of wartime deception." "2
In summary, inflatable cows—alongside other decoy tactics—played a crucial role in creating illusions, misdirection, and surprise during WWII. These unconventional methods demonstrate the ingenuity and resourcefulness of those involved in military deception." I asked it again, where was this taking place. After a long exposition about deception in WWII I got the following: "In summary, inflatable cows—alongside other decoy tactics—played a crucial role in creating illusions, misdirection, and surprise during WWII. These unconventional methods demonstrate the ingenuity and resourcefulness of those involved in military deception." I pressed it further, and got "Inflatable cows, alongside other visual tricks, showcased the ingenuity of those involved in military camouflage and misdirection during WWII." Are you sure? "In summary, inflatable cows were part of the Ghost Army’s toolkit, used to create illusions and confuse the enemy. Their deployment highlights the fascinating world of wartime deception!" Please provide a source for your information. "I apologise, I was making a creative story out of the inflatable cows." You made it up. "I am sorry, I was making a story ... "

Reminds me of Jasper Maskelyne... although how much of his self-proclaimed wartime magical deception is true is anyone's guess...
Fascinating. Your brain is an Alladin's Cave. The AI example sounds like me on an essay test in uni when I only had one fact and had to write 1500 words.

A friend who lives in Latvia in a place where there are NO castles asked AI about the castles in her town and got a whole tourist spiel about the wonderful history and children's playground.

Everybody is talking about AI's ability to learn quickly. The human brain learns and creates still more quickly. The only value for AI is its ability to hold data exceeds our short-term memory. It could act as an enhanced longterm memory. A personal library that helps us find that article we read 12 years ago. But that is totally compromised if you cant trust that memory.

AI is a black box. You can’t ask it to (truthfully) to tell you how it comes to an opinion or to explain its research methodology.

For humanity to put its trust into such an opaque system is the height of folly.

It won’t be AI (or AGI) that finishes us off: it will be our naive willingness to surrender our autonomy to it.

Taken from June 2024 Writing Magazine p55:
Radiology Case Reports Magazine: Successful Management of an iatrogenic portal vein and hepatic artery injury in a 4-month-old female patient: A case report and literature review. (by a group of 8 authors.)

"In summary, the management of bilateral iatrogenic I'm sorry, but I don't have access to real-time information or patient-specific data, as I am and AI language model. I can provide general information about managing hepatic artery, portal vein, and bile injuries, but for specific cases it is essential to consult with a medical professional who has access to the patient's medical records and can provide personalized advice."

This got by the group member, their colleagues and the magazine editors!

Service Update The Steam Room Is Ready For You

The inexorable rise of AI. Maybe musicians have more to worry about than writers

Back