Book Club Book Club Picks (January 2024)

Litopia's own Book Club for all members... We meet on Zoom

Blog Post: Pride Weekend, Part 2.

Hi book lovers!
Checking that our next book club meet is March 17th? The Toymakers by Dinsdale, chosen by Hannah. I popped it into the calendar.
Hannah, any thoughts, questions you have for us to mull for the chat? Oh, maybe I'm jumping the gun! We should wait till Jason puts up a specific thread for it. Just didn't want time to run away from us as it likes to do.

Hi book lovers!
Checking that our next book club meet is March 17th? The Toymakers by Dinsdale, chosen by Hannah. I popped it into the calendar.
Hannah, any thoughts, questions you have for us to mull for the chat? Oh, maybe I'm jumping the gun! We should wait till Jason puts up a specific thread for it. Just didn't want time to run away from us as it likes to do.
Saturday 16th. You have it correct on the calendar, however. ;) I'm about 65% through it. It's starting to be a slog for me now at this point.

Last edited:
Saturday 16th. You have it correct on the calendar, however. ;) I'm about 65% through it. It's starting to be a slog for me now at this point.
Ah, of course, it's Sun, 17th for me. But Sat 16th for you. It's on the cal right because I have my cal set to NZ time. ;-)

I agree, there's some pretty slow bits... and you're in one. The ending is worth the slog. Shame it takes so long to get there though.

I'm trying to think of questions. Here's some to get us going with The ToyMakers:

1. When we write, we need to get the balance right between setting, characters, plot and pace. Do you think Dinsdale managed this? Which were his strongest and which were his weakest aspects?

2. This is a mash-up between urban fantasy and historical fiction. Did the mix work for you? Why/why not?

3. The first half of the book was magical and upbeat until WW1. Once WW1 was over, a new war raged within the Emporium walls and the story became darker and darker. This drew many complaints in Goodread reviews. What do you think?

4. Especially at the beginning of chapters, Dinsdale often broke the fourth wall and spoke directly to you. Did that involve you in or pull you out of the story?

Hi, @Jason L. ,
Could we please push @Jonny 's book selection "Piranesi" by a month, from July 13 to August? By Jonny's request.
Thanks!
Lyse
Have we decided yet?

July 13: Susannah Clarke, Piranesi (Jonny)
August 14: Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn (Pamela Jo)
September 14: P. G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters (Matt)

I need to get cracking because I'm reading this and love it! Especially because Captain James Cook was slaughtered a few miles from my house...

1719270400704.jpeg

Blog Post: Pride Weekend, Part 2.

Back