Book Review: Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
lHu1wtNaczFPGFDTrjCSzeLPTKN.jpg

Title: Bohemian Rhapsody

Tagline: Fearless lives forever

Genre: Drama, Music

Director: Bryan Singer

Cast: Rami Malek, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joseph Mazzello, Lucy Boynton, Aidan Gillen, Allen Leech, Tom Hollander, Mike Myers, Aaron McCusker, Meneka Das, Ace Bhatti, Priya Blackburn, Dermot Murphy, Dickie Beau, Jess Radomska, Neil Fox-Roberts, Philip Andrew, Matthew Houston, Michelle Duncan, Max Bennett, Adam Rauf, Scott Morrison Watson, Devlin Lloyd, Garry Summers, Matthew Fredricks, Stefan Kopiecki, Pat Lally, Ian Jareth Williamson, Johanna Thea, Adam Lazarus, Peter Vo, Lasco Atkins

Release: 2018-10-24

Runtime: 135

Plot: Singer Freddie Mercury, guitarist Brian May, drummer Roger Taylor and bass guitarist John Deacon take the music world by storm when they form the rock 'n' roll band Queen in 1970. Hit songs become instant classics. When Mercury's increasingly wild lifestyle starts to spiral out of control, Queen soon faces its greatest challenge yet – finding a way to keep the band together amid the success and excess.

Loved it. I'm pretty sure if I saw it for a second and third time, I'd love it all over again.

Four and a half stars.

Brilliant casting, soundtrack, acting and script.
I thought there would be a never-ending list of problems with this movie, due to the director and cast fallout. However, it was a completely immersive film that had many people in the cinema crying. It hit the right notes to make the film more widely available without skipping over issues entirely. The only annoyance was some songs having to be cut short just when they were getting good, but there are SO many brilliant songs that there had to be some loss.

Definitely worth seeing.

4.5 stars too from me and Tim.
To be fair we really enjoyed it and we both got teary-eyed at the Live Aid footage.
Even though Freddy was ill and was fighting aids.
He put on one hell of a show as he always did.
But his live aid concert was his redemption, I think.
I think his stage persona helped him in many ways, more that he realised.
Because he had been fighting many battles all his life not just later on, health wise.
Such as, his fathers approval, his identity, what was expected of him, prejudices, his place in the world, his sexuality etc.
But all those people coming together for all their songs, starling and simply amazing.

Go and watch it you won't be disappointed but you may shed a tear or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VOTING IS OPEN!

Question: What spring has sprung for you lately?

Back