Help! AAAARGH!!

Fanfare! Evernight Publishing Readers' Choice Awards 2017 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Aitch

Basic
Aug 29, 2014
West Midlands, UK
My manuscript has troubled me for a while. It is a fantasy with two 13 year old protagonists. Their age is absolutely deliberate, and the cause of my confusion.

From its inception, it has always been a "cross-over" novel. Not because I seek the Holy Grail of mass appeal, but because I have always enjoyed books that have the qualities (of escapism and timelessness) I associate with stories read as a teenager and so easily accepted as an adult. The style and content is directed at an audience that appreciates a complex world but retains a measure of hope and optimism. There is no sex or "real-world issues", but there is violence (of the adventurous sort) and plenty of made-up vulgarity.

And therein lies the ongoing quandary. Does my novel belong in upper Middle Grade, or Young Adult? Or the ill-defined teen fiction arena? I have in recent months come to the conclusion that it is the latter, but would appreciated others' thoughts and ideas.

MG as YA wouldn't read about such young kids. Depends on content though and how violent the violence is. Also country of intended publication. USA is very severe on violence; UK a bit more tolerant, said a USA editor in conversation recently. Length of ms matters but that can be adapted if needed when you work out what genre it is. I think 13 and 14 year old protagonists are a tricky group to classify.

Ah, the dreaded reader age confusion. I know it all too well. I recently wrote a kid's book for adults (or was that an adult book for kids, who knows).

I once read somewhere that in regards to classifying Mid G or YA, the word count is one of the defining factors. Not sure if this is true though, and I would love to get other people's input on that one, but it might be worth looking into. In any event, could your novel be adapted, 'gritted-up' to fit the adult market? Might be interesting to tell an adult novel from a young view point. You say you enjoy books which remind you of stories you read as a teenager. Many others will do too.

Or maybe just send it off to agents who deal with both, and let them decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! AAAARGH!!

Fanfare! Evernight Publishing Readers' Choice Awards 2017 Update

Back