Amusement Beta Reader Greatest Hits - 2022 Top 10

Inspiration! Can AI help you write your blurb?

Where is the December progress thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorm Ant

Basic
Jul 7, 2021
UK
It's that time of year. Top 50 or Top 10 this and that...
Just for fun, here's my top 10 2022 beta reading gripes.

10. ...began to...
Like splats of noodle soup going all over my clothes - it's infuriating. If a character begins something, it should get interrupted. Otherwise they don't begin, they just do the thing. The weirdest use of this is when the action is by definition the beginning of a movement, like: She began to walk away. Walking away is the start of walking. Obvs.

9. Fat shaming
I can tell when a secondary character is going to be pitied, sneered at, or even downright hated, because the writer will refer to their flabby belly/recent weight gain/portly figure/plump hands at any given opportunity.
I hold my stomach in and wear a tight belt for huddles, cos I fear what all my flab-outing peers will do if they suspect I gained a clothes size during lockdown. Big yikes!

8. Making the same point or expressing the same emotion four times in quick succession using slightly different wording...
...and hoping it drives the point home harder.
It doesn't.
I just get my yellow marker out.

7. Fell on deaf ears, and turned a blind eye
Disability rights activists have spent decades destroying myths and challenging assumptions. Disabled people have re-branded from a disregarded invisible inconvenience, into communities whose voices are heard, and whose life challenges are automatically factored in when buildings are designed, events are planned etc.
So, why do writers keep coming out with these dated phrases that imply that blindness and deafness are acts put on by characters who want to be ignorant or obstruct others?

6. While we're at it, stop your characters turning on their heel.
No bugger actually does this.
Ditto, characters pricking their ears. (Unless they're a cat or fox.)

5. "Unshaven" men
Anyone would think it's the 1950s and that Brad Pitt and other A-list celebs weren't sporting facial foliage, not to mention most of the guys you'll see out and about in shops, cafes etc. Beards are mainstream. Stubble is more common than scraped chins for guys under 60. Moustaches are maintained beyond Movember.
Yet, I've lost count of the number of manuscripts recently in which a man is described as "unshaven" as shorthand for him neglecting his appearance or even, being devious and creepy. It makes me want to shred paper, build a nest and shut the world out.

4. Who the hell just spoke?
A character speaks, then a second character thinks about what's been said, or even replies. All in the same fucking paragraph.
It's even worse when names aren't used and they share a pronoun. She said this... She was shocked...
This female reading the paragraph is just confused.

3. Narrow palette of body language to draw from
I've seen more stomachs twist in knots, chills run up spines and clenched teeth this year than in the whole decade previous. Neck hair is also very active at the moment.

2. Framing/spotlighting a baddie
If you think I can't figure out that Boris is a wrong-un because he steals from work, sells drugs to kids, hits his girlfriend and shoots eagles, and you feel the need to explain that he's an unsympathetic character, you should sell your laptop and take up another hobby.
Not really, I'm being melodramatic.
Just stop, though.

1. Showing, then after-telling
There's a place for telling; we know this because Craft Chat said so. The place for telling is in beautifully written narrative sections that move the plot along a bit faster, or make us laugh.
If one of your characters bares their soul and shows, though clever dialogue and actions, how they feel, don't ruin it by plonking a line straight afterwards writersplaining in your most patronising way, what they've just done.
Because I will call you out on it.
End of rant.

In some forms of dance, a person can 'turn on their heels', as can a soldier in certain formation moves. My fave is when horses turn on their heels when working stock or performing some dressage moves.
Yes, people use the words/phrase because they don't understand what it means, but used properly, it can (or once did) create a visualisation of a movement that was rapid, and with specific purpose.
@Hannah F - I agree with the tongue or finger clicking, unless it's for a purpose. I used sound (a tongue or finger click, or a proper clicker) to train blind animals.

In some forms of dance, a person can 'turn on their heels', as can a soldier in certain formation moves. My fave is when horses turn on their heels when working stock or performing some dressage moves.
Yes, people use the words/phrase because they don't understand what it means, but used properly, it can (or once did) create a visualisation of a movement that was rapid, and with specific purpose.
@Hannah F - I agree with the tongue or finger clicking, unless it's for a purpose. I used sound (a tongue or finger click, or a proper clicker) to train blind animals.
They are never referring to dancing. They always mean a person who has forgotten something and decided to go back, or someone who changes their mind about destination, mid walk.

I haven't seen "...started to turn on their heel" yet. Matter of time.

I haven't seen "...started to turn on their heel" yet. Matter of time.

Brandon started to turn on his heel when a rogue wind caught him off balance and he toppled into the other soldiers on the parade ground.
His calls for help fell on deaf ears, but he was fortunate that his lush and full grown beard, which was long and thick, almost down to his round belly, cushioned his fall. They always said it made him appear lazy, but it had just saved his teeth... Because it was so long.
Corporal Richard Edwards marched over. He was the kind of guy that laughed at children falling over, or animals that had gotten stuck in fences.... He wasn't a nice man is what I'm trying to say.
"Up" he commanded.
He got up.
"Get yourself out of here. You're a disgrace.'
He left. Crestfallen.

Brandon had just ruined everything.

There you go. Something for your nightmares.
Merry Christmas.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspiration! Can AI help you write your blurb?

Where is the December progress thread?

Back