AuthorHouse

What Would You Do? Giving up on YA agents and trying Adult

Hello all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
Any views? I've googled reviews and they are very mixed. I just downloaded their free 'help guide'... which wasn't a help guide, more a look at 'what we can do guide'... and realised that it seems to concentrate on Christian publishing. Hmm, no offence, but probably not for me then.

If you were self-publishing for the first time how would you go about it? On your own or with something like AuthorHouse? And if not AuthorHouse, are there other services that can help you through the process?

One more important factor is that I am totally and utterly broke.

I followed Litopian advice and looked at ALLi. They give a nice big red warning sign for AuthorHouse. So my question is answered.

Last edited:
I like it, it's easy to use. I stayed exclusive with Amazon after the 90 days they initially require from you.

I paid an editor friend, also a graphic designer, and he steered me through the process. Having said that, uploading wasn't a prob, it was the marketing. It's just not for me (and that's my disability speaking). I'd rather try traditional, even if I'm never published.

Decent covers aren't cheap though. At reedsy.com, you can ask for quotes. They vet every professional on their website.

With the marketing, building up your release date is important. That's your biggest sales day.

I like it, it's easy to use. I stayed exclusive with Amazon after the 90 days they initially require from you.

I paid an editor friend, also a graphic designer, and he steered me through the process. Having said that, uploading wasn't a prob, it was the marketing. It's just not for me (and that's my disability speaking). I'd rather try traditional, even if I'm never published.

Decent covers aren't cheap though. At reedsy.com, you can ask for quotes. They vet every professional on their website.

With the marketing, building up your release date is important. That's your biggest sales day.
I'm the same (minus the disability... or at least different ones)... the promotion etc terrifies me.

"If you were self-publishing for the first time how would you go about it? " I would spend massive amounts of time researching various forums, videos etc finding out every bit information I could. Not only on the steps to self publish on a marketplace (that is how to format ,upload ect) but everything in between. My next step would then be coming up with a launch plan which includes a marketing plan. What is my goal in terms of sales? Whom do I plan on reaching? How will I retain those readers let alone find them?

You queried if anyone knew about AuthorHouse? Try this link:

CompanyURLRatingConcernsNotes
AuthorHouseWatchdog AdvisoryLVCSTMQAuthor Solutions imprint
AuthorHouse UKWatchdog AdvisoryLVCSTMQAuthor Solutions imprint

Both these companies are listed on the site as [RED ALERT]:

Watchdog AdvisoryServices which fail to align with our Code of Standards, have given rise to consistent complaints and, in some cases, have been subject to legal action.

Which means people have trouble with them. Always worth checking thoroughly before parting with money.

I don't know what the price is where you are, but this is an intro guide to print with Kindle Direct. Most of the document detail/formatting reqs is the same for most self-pub (Ingram, etc.), so would be of assistance. Using the Kindle Print as a first attempt (which is why most new indie publishers use an anthology as a 'test run') is the least stressful option if you don't have any idea where to start.

It has pictures, large text (because it's graphics), and easy to follow steps.

Yes, I [e]know the author, but don't get anything for 'forwarding'/recommending the book. It may lead you to a different resource, or give you some ideas.
It took me a while to figure out how to do the right size and shape for Ingram, but Kindle and CreateSpace were relatively easy, but time-consuming - maybe that was because I was learning, and had to check everything six times ...

Oh, and good luck, but you can do it.

I don't know what the price is where you are, but this is an intro guide to print with Kindle Direct. Most of the document detail/formatting reqs is the same for most self-pub (Ingram, etc.), so would be of assistance. Using the Kindle Print as a first attempt (which is why most new indie publishers use an anthology as a 'test run') is the least stressful option if you don't have any idea where to start.

It has pictures, large text (because it's graphics), and easy to follow steps.

Yes, I [e]know the author, but don't get anything for 'forwarding'/recommending the book. It may lead you to a different resource, or give you some ideas.
It took me a while to figure out how to do the right size and shape for Ingram, but Kindle and CreateSpace were relatively easy, but time-consuming - maybe that was because I was learning, and had to check everything six times ...

Oh, and good luck, but you can do it.
Just spent an hour trying to buy this on kindle, only to work out that it isn't available on bog standard early Kindles. So I either have to buy the paperback or upgrade my kindle. Guess what I'm going to do. At least with the paperback, I can make notes in the margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Would You Do? Giving up on YA agents and trying Adult

Hello all!

Back