Author Looking To Make Her Break

A

Not good at greetings

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Miss Muses

Hello! I stumbled upon Litopia when considering submitting a query to RedHammer Agency. Under the submissions tab I was encouraged to follow a link here!
So here I am and as you've guessed, I am in the process of querying! I am nervous and question myself every other agent I query!
So, I hope to grow and gain some more talent and understanding!
Looking forward to meeting you all!

I could use some help editing/proof reading my full length novel so if anyone is interested in helping on that end...that would be fantastic!

Last edited:
Welcome, pleased to meet you. I'm always happy to help out my fellow Colonists, what sort of thing are you writing?

Hello and welcome. What's your novel about?
Ill post the synopsis portion of my query!

Shattered is a 113,000 word coming-of-age Young Adult novel set in post-apocalyptic Europe duringthe year 2113. Following a young woman’s journey across France in defense of a cause she stands for, the reader is pulled into a whirlwind of life altering events, real and raw romance, and the trying of one’s fortitude.

After the tragic execution of her parents during a brutal tax raid, Mila Wilde has spent the last seven years raising her baby brother, crawling on her hands and knees with courage and perseverance through the dirt and grime of life in hopes of somehow thriving despite the odds stacked against her.

Faced with the normal worries of a young woman trying to raise a child, Mila’s days blur together in a trail of tears and survival until one day she becomes acutely aware of a disturbing stirring in the peace of her small town. A surprise tax raid plagues the unsuspecting citizens of Rouen. Finding Mila and many others incapable of paying the fees, the ruthless General Ballord carries out the customary punishment, alighting an anger and sense of unjust treatment in her. She retaliates which inevitably leads to the death of her brother. With no reason nor any desire to stay in her lonely town, Mila finds herself tangled up in a quest with an elite team destined to destroy the injustice of their government. One of the team members happens to be her estranged best friend as well as the only man left in the world capable of breaking her heart.

In this edge-of-your-seat story, you will experience a fresh and unfiltered adventure portraying how convictions, a sense of justice, and love can drive even the most content of people to do unthinkable things.

Welcome, pleased to meet you. I'm always happy to help out my fellow Colonists, what sort of thing are you writing?
I posted the synopsis of my story! I actually write a variety of things, I like to create worlds though! I am currently considering writing a novel revolving more arounf a wrold, society and people than a particular person and their story!

Hello and welcome! What sort of apocalypse happened in Europe in your novel?

Co
Hello! I stumbled upon Litopia when considering submitting a query to RedHammer Agency. Under the submissions tab I was encouraged to follow a link here!
So here I am and as you've guessed, I am in the process of querying! I am nervous and question myself every other agent I query!
So, I hope to grow and gain some more talent and understanding!
Looking forward to meeting you all!

I could use some help editing/proof reading my full length novel so if anyone is interested in helping on that end...that would be fantastic!
Come on it! The water's fine!

Hello and welcome! What sort of apocalypse happened in Europe in your novel?
Thank you!

Well, its complicated! It started as riots and a few bombs (nothing to cause massive radition or anything) it was a chain reaction from there. The economy tanked, more riots ensued, and over a short span of time, everything fell into ruin. From there, as people tried to regain footing, leaders couldn't agree on how that should be done causing killings, power struggles and so on until people self destructed, riots, fires, and massacres began claiming areas. Soon, nothing was really left and it became survival of the fittest.

whew...I shouldve just posted the more eloquent excerpt from my book! it sounds way more convincing there!

Thank you!

Well, its complicated! It started as riots and a few bombs (nothing to cause massive radition or anything) it was a chain reaction from there. The economy tanked, more riots ensued, and over a short span of time, everything fell into ruin. From there, as people tried to regain footing, leaders couldn't agree on how that should be done causing killings, power struggles and so on until people self destructed, riots, fires, and massacres began claiming areas. Soon, nothing was really left and it became survival of the fittest.

whew...I shouldve just posted the more eloquent excerpt from my book! it sounds way more convincing there!

here ill post it!

A series of events including terrorism, economical fallout, and countless natural disasters left us destroyed. Many countries took it upon themselves to make the world a better place and rebuild the structure of society after the unfortunate occurrences. This proved futile since not one country, nor one leader could unite in agreement as to how rebuilding the world should be done. This caused wars and more damage to ensue until there was nothing left of the world but scattered people, broken countries, tyranny, and dictatorships. We ran out of resources for even the most practical, simplistic way of living.

I like the sounds of this saga! Alas, I'm currently reading 2 manuscripts for other Litopians. If you still need help when I'm done, I'll gladly give it a look over. Mostly because I'm curious to unfurl this story further.

I like the sounds of this saga! Alas, I'm currently reading 2 manuscripts for other Litopians. If you still need help when I'm done, I'll gladly give it a look over. Mostly because I'm curious to unfurl this story further.
Aw! See, I am so glad to see people interested! I am very glad you think it sounds good! I am probably going to have to pay an editor...its a mess!

Aw! See, I am so glad to see people interested! I am very glad you think it sounds good! I am probably going to have to pay an editor...its a mess!

That's what I thought to begin with. Where am I going to get the cash from? So I send my first chapter to Meerkat, another colonist here, she's helped me so much with getting started. And I'm trying an edit myself first. You'd be surprised how much clean up you can get done, once you know what needs tidying. There are plenty of people here who'll help with any questions you might have. Don't be scared, take the plunge into editing. There's a certain satisfaction from sorting these things for yourself.

To back up everyone else, Miss Muses, Litopia has been one of the most useful tools in polishing my manuscript. A few members read my first chapter several years ago and gave GREAT comments, which I carried through the rest of the editing process. I'm looking over some other manuscripts right now, but best of luck. This is an excellent group full of intelligent and compassionate people.

Welcome! Hope your manuscript is in capable hands :D

I too need to get an editor, evnetually. <-----see :D

I have a little system in place (in my head)

First stage: First draft - moi! Just keep head down don't dare click on the back space and type away until the end. [Of course I don't strictly follow this but I respect the rule.]
Second stage: Second draft - moi! Edit away and enjoy the restructuring process and learning that goes with it. Read books of same genre, learn from the masters and sharpen your craft and apply generously all over your raw work. This stage is actually many edits over and over and over again. I still call it second draft though.
Third stage: Beta readers - select fine upstanding people. Don't count family and friends in there unless they are teachers and editors themselves. Throw in a couple of lovely strangers from Litopia :D
Fourth stage: Rub wounds of bruised ego lovingly following feedback from stage 3. And apply required medicine - meaning edit again. May loop it back to beta readers to check their opinion or try new readers and only use feedback common amongst 2 or more of them unless you agree with them too :D
Fifth stage: Pay for an editor to give it the professional literary eye. Someone experienced with UK grammar and spelling, sci-fi genre, MG fan and has great reputation in the industry e.g www.cornerstones.co.uk (although not sure if they tick all of my boxes yet but have kept a mental note of them amongst others).
Sixth stage: Release into the wild and embrace the excitement, anticipation and optimism for as long as you can. Then repeat process with the next exciting adventure.

Well now it's no longer in my head. :D

Last edited:
Interesting Emurelda, thinking I'm at stage 2/3, editing myself and involving beta readers. Feedback so far seems good, no glaring problems and a good story overall, just needs polishing up to a little gem. Hoping I can do what's necessary to make it shine. Honestly, I always thought such editing would be done by the publishing company. A sign of changing times, I guess.

I pulled in all nighter three nights ago and edited it and proof read it! There was this sigh that came at 2am when I was finished and the story settled with me like "oh....that was good!"

I pulled in all nighter three nights ago and edited it and proof read it! There was this sigh that came at 2am when I was finished and the story settled with me like "oh....that was good!"

Yeah, that's a great feeling ;)

Welcome also. Haven't been able to access the net, so doing a catch up. Sounds interesting, and I wish you the best of luck with your writing. ;-)

Hi Miss Muses - welcome to the colony! I wish I had more time to help out with reading/editing, but crazy busy at the moment with a full time job, family and studying for my MA creative writing. That aside, I can recommend a good book that has really helped me out: Self-editing for Fiction Writers: How to edit yourself into print - by Renni Browne and Dave King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Not good at greetings

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Back