• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Poetry Ancient Well

The World Between the Words
Well1.jpg

Obscured, hidden by ferns and moss

Echoes of summer days now gone

With excitement rushing through us

We remove the slate; we uncover the well.

Cool fresh; a distant black mirror

Peat moss, grass, a smell of burning turf

Below the ground silent and mysterious

Cupped hands for us to taste

Fresh like sprinkled dew; cold as hard frost.

As a very young kid we holidayed on the North West coast of Ireland - the area was very rural and remote with many places not having plumbed-in water. My Mum's old homestead was one such place, and every day we would go with my Dad to the underground well nearby and fill up two enormous enamel buckets with water.

Last edited:
Beautiful, Jonny! I could see, feel and taste all that :) (and I loved your end note; it's always lovely to hear where the writer is coming from, what inspired them).

Thanks, Emily. I did wonder about the note and whether to leave it to the reader's imagination. I'm always 50/50 on that sort of thing.

Glad you enjoyed.

So much said in its brevity. I particularly liked 'We remove the slate; we uncover the well,' it has a ritualistic feel, especially with the words 'distant black mirror.' Reminded me of scrying and more so with the evocative words that followed. Beautiful.

Back