From The Writer's Chair An exploration of what games are trending

First Huddle South this Wednesday...

Leaf journal: scholarly articles on creative writing for young people

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
My 2 sons have been working on a game since there were about 15 and 12 respectively. Forces of Virtue. They are now marketing it and perfecting it with feedback from trial players. It's interesting that a lot of the feedback is that players want more preset scenarios to play rather than being given unlimited interactive ability. In other words story. I do see why publishing says there are fewer young men writing books, they are writing games instead. It's where the action and the money is. But I think Zuckerberg will fail at sucking us into the Matrix. People dont want to write stories. They want to be taken where they cannot go without a writer.

Hi Pamela Jo,
Good luck to your two on their game, I hope they are successful. According to my sons, the biggest computer games over the last few years would be:
Fortnite
Mindcraft
Grand Theft Auto
Call of Duty
Roblox

My sons say their male friends, acquaintances and work colleagues are all far more interested in computer games than reading books. It is not a close competition.

Hi Pamela Jo,
Good luck to your two on their game, I hope they are successful. According to my sons, the biggest computer games over the last few years would be:
Fortnite
Mindcraft
Grand Theft Auto
Call of Duty
Roblox

My sons say their male friends, acquaintances and work colleagues are all far more interested in computer games than reading books. It is not a close competition.
Thank you. They are going for a more niche audience with their game. Pushing the boundaries. There is more demand for new ideas in gaming than there is in publishing. It's not yet controlled by a handful of old billionaires.

First Huddle South this Wednesday...

Leaf journal: scholarly articles on creative writing for young people

Back