June writing goals.

It's My Book...Get Off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
Someone recently subbed a MSS categorized as 'up-lit' on Pop-Ups, and this was a new one for a few of us, me included.

This, via The Bookseller.

An unagented former primary school teacher-turned academic Jane O’Connor has signed a world rights deal with Ebury Press for her “quirky, charming” up-lit novel.

Inspired by the Japanese word for hedgehog, Needlemouse is a story about unrequited love, loneliness and the redemptive qualities of hedgehogs.

Described as “the perfect mix between Graeme Simsion and Ruth Hogan with a dash of Gail Honeyman” it follows a spiky older woman who volunteers in her local hedgehog sanctuary and learns how to be kinder to others and to herself.

Ebury Fiction publishing director Gillian Green has bought world rights (including TV and film) to the novel directly though O’Connor, with publication slated for autumn 2019.

Green said: “Jane’s debut is utterly enchanting. I know a lot of readers will relate to Sylvia. She is a wonderfully original, acerbic older heroine who holds people at a distance and has ostensibly been sleep-walking through her life. It’s ultimately though a book about the power of kindness – and hedgehogs. The whole Ebury Fiction team have fallen for its spiky charms.”

O’Connor, a former primary school teacher turned academic and writer, added she hoped Sylvia’s triumphant return from the brink of despair, “rescued not by a man but by the gentle kindness and nurture of friendships and animals, touches many hearts.”

O’Connor’s PhD thesis was about child stars and much of her subsequent work has focused on 'exceptional' groups of children and representations of children in the media. She was a senior lecturer in Childhood Studies at the University of Wolverhampton for six years and before that she worked as a visiting lecturer in the education department at London Metropolitan University. She joined Birmingham City University in 2013 as a Senior Researcher and became a Reader in 2015. She is married with two sons and lives in Sutton Coldfield.

"Up-lit", huh?

Does everyone else know it's a thing, then? Is there a shelf for it in the bookshops or libraries yet?

*faintly bemused*

Well.

Last edited:
I know. What next? The Bookseller seems to know it's a thing. I never heard of it until recently, thanks to a Pop Up sub, a phrase used in the query letter/ Hence this thread and the link posted by @Carol Rose.

Spelling with or without the hyphen.

The Rise of Up Lit

I note the name of another publishing trend that had also passed my by: "grip lit".

But, as Hazel Gaynor says in her blog post: "Of course, books with empathy, humour and kindness at their core are nothing new..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

June writing goals.

It's My Book...Get Off!

Back