Question: For owners of a block of kitchen knives

Help! Recording an Audiobook

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK Wallis

rk.wallis@myyahoo.com
Feb 15, 2019
Australia
Alyssa's newsletter popped into my email today. I thought this was a good analogy (by a published author). It's my experience too:

"Revisions are where the real magic happens. Throw away the notion of writing a perfect first draft. Just like you wouldn’t solve a jigsaw puzzle by pulling pieces out of the box and setting them down in order, from left to right, one at a time—you don’t write a book that way, either.

Instead, you scatter all the pieces on the table and start working on the edges of the puzzle (the outline, or the framework of the novel) and then you tackle one section at a time (one plot thread, or one character arc, or one red herring), building and building until it all finally fits together. It can be overwhelming to conceptualize a book all at once, but when you break it down and take one element at a time, it’s easier to manage in your brain. At least, that’s how it works for me!"

Yes, good advice and insight too.

I was so mightily relieved when I heard published authors admitting they hadn't got their whole book mapped out from the first to the last word.

OK, so it doesn't make the job very much easier but it certainly makes it considerably less daunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: For owners of a block of kitchen knives

Help! Recording an Audiobook

Back