Link Dump...2016 Writing Competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
As you may know, we ran a 2-hour seminar yesterday on the subject of The First Page. I think everyone enjoyed it, although Skype made it particularly difficult for several people to take part.

I’m very disappointed in Skype. I used to have a premium subscription that worked out pretty well. Since the Microsoft takeover, the quality seems to have steadily deteriorated.

So... I’m looking for any suggestions for alternative web conferencing platforms.

If anyone has any bright ideas, please post them below. Ideally, we’d want a cheap/free service, with the option for people to join in via their phones if not possible through their PCs. Warning - some providers offer the latter via premium-rate phone numbers, which can cost a ton for a two-hour call... best avoided.

Thanks for any pointers.

Reposting my suggestions so they're in the same place: Google Hangouts has worked well for me. I've never had to pay for it and have used it for 4 people with screen sharing. WebEx and GoToMeeting are also good but they may only have a free trial, not be forever free.

We used WebEx at work to train large groups at one time, and it supported over one hundred people in the same session, but it's not free. Not sure of the cost, to be honest, but I heard it was substantial (which of course probably explains why we're no longer using it!) Now we use Skype for Business. Go figure. :) But I also heard this particular version was tweaked for us, according to specs. So I'm sure it's not free, either. I've never used Google hangouts but I haven't heard of any issues with it from those who do use it. Not sure how many people it will support at once, however.

Thanks, Nicole, I’m looking at Google Hangouts now. There’s not a facility for people to dial in, is there?

Carol, WebEx and GoToMeeing are quite similar, but no, they’re not free. Looking at the others on that link now.

Thanks, Nicole, I’m looking at Google Hangouts now. There’s not a facility for people to dial in, is there?

Carol, WebEx and GoToMeeing are quite similar, but no, they’re not free. Looking at the others on that link now.
No, I believe the organizer would just start a video call with the participants. (Or vice versa)

That's the thing. Some people won't be able to make/receive stable audio ore video, which is why we need dial-in too.

I wonder if my laptop would have worked better on skype than my ipad. I am not sure. Happy to try skype again it generally works quite well, usually.

No, not going to go thru the Skype experience again! Twenty minutes of my life I don't need to repeat.

This looks fairly decent:

https://www.fuze.com/

And has a phone bridge that allows folk to connect by phone if the net gets too choppy. Think we'll give it a go...

I'd be interested in anything that will allow me to join in with my limited PC laptop capacity. As I told Agent Pete, I am simplicity itself when it comes to tech devices. I don't have a pad or a smartphone. My mobile phone is steam-driven. The reason is that until I began to look seriously into the world of indie book marketing I had no need for complexity. But things are changing and I believe I will be reviewing my annual spending budget early in the new year to take in the purchase of new personal communication technology. But that does not help the situation regarding the proposed second seminar on The First Page. It may be that I have to be on the sidelines until my technology update, so far as conferences go.

Turning to other things: There is just over one hour here (Western Australia) to go before we cross into the New Year. So, may I wish every member of the Litopia community all the very best for a fulfilling and happy 2016, and may all our writing projects add something good to the world.:)

ok, so i have downloaded fuze, signed up, i can see myself on the video screen, but I can´t hear myself. Am I suppose to hear myself? Not sure...does anyone know if there is a way of testing sound on fuze?

Yes, you can select which sound input it uses from your pc, and then it will display an indicator bar if it's receiving audio ok.

I'll be opening up the meeting half an hour early on Sunday just to allow people to play around with their settings. The seminar itself will still start at the same time.

Jami Gold uses the best platform for online classes that I've ever seen. I took one of her courses because I've been looking for a way to integrate online courses for an RWA chapter whose website I administer. Tech Surgeons does her webinars. Here is a link: https://techsurgeons.com/online-meetings/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolutions and Self-Forgiveness

Link Dump...2016 Writing Competitions.

Back