Book Review: After the Crash by Michel Bussi

How to Edit Your Own Manuscript - My tried-and-true technique

Can we be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
Spot the mistake. The blurb on the back of this "Thriller of the Year'' reads like this:
ON THE NIGHT OF 22 DECEMBER, A PLANE CRASHES ON THE FRANCO-SWISS BORDER. All the passengers are killed instantly, apart from one miraculous survivor - a three-month-old baby girl. But who is she? Two families step forward to claim her, but is she Lyse-Rose or Emilie? Two decades later, on the eve of her eighteenth bithday, the detective who investigated the case makes a discovery that could change everything...

Mmm, sloppy. Simple maths (even for a dummy like me). I think, reading that blurb, it might actually put me off reading the book as no one has bothered to check this obvious mistake. The odd typo is ok, but this is a whopper!

Well, I'm struggling through it (although I'm not sure why). It provides a lesson in how not to write a book, perhaps. Although it does make me cross - there are so many glaring errors and shabby plotting I wonder how it ever was published in the first place (first in French and then translated into English!) I think I'll give up and write something better myself :)

I don't know -- does the term 'decade' necessarily need to be exactly ten years? For example, by 'a couple of centuries ago' I would mean probably anything from ~150 to 250 years ago, not exactly 200 years, 0 months, 0 weeks, 0 days, 0 hours etc. Perhaps they are using 'decade' as a similarly approximate measure. Colloquial rather than literal.

I don't know -- does the term 'decade' necessarily need to be exactly ten years? For example, by 'a couple of centuries ago' I would mean probably anything from ~150 to 250 years ago, not exactly 200 years, 0 months, 0 weeks, 0 days, 0 hours etc. Perhaps they are using 'decade' as a similarly approximate measure. Colloquial rather than literal.
I do see what you mean. My mother (perhaps it was a S. African thing) used to use the word 'couple' to mean a few, rather than two. But I think this is still dodgy on a book blurb.

That was my take on it, too.

Last edited:
I think you're being generous! It says specifically 'two decades later', not 'decades later' - which would be ok. I think blurb should be as tight as possible in guiding the reader. I have also come across 'couple' meaning a few - an Irish girlfriend many years ago used couple as anything more than one and vaguely up to 4 or 5 - completely confused me at first.

You're right - it is insignificant in the great scheme of things and I didn't lose any sleep over it, but nonetheless it is sloppy. Would that I had such a problem! - to be published, I would put up with the odd error or two ...

Well, they must have noticed the problem, as on Amazon it is a clearer version.

On the night of 22 December 1980, a plane crashes on the Franco-Swiss border and is engulfed in flames. 168 out of 169 passengers are killed instantly. The miraculous sole survivor is a three-month-old baby girl. Two families, one rich, the other poor, step forward to claim her, sparking an investigation that will last for almost two decades. Is she Lyse-Rose or Emilie?

Eighteen years later, having failed to discover the truth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Edit Your Own Manuscript - My tried-and-true technique

Can we be friends?

Back