A handwritten book.

Fantasy Politics

Reality Check 10 Things Literary Agents Look for in a Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this and thought it was interesting. Comedian Andy Hamilton wrote an entire book in handwriting. He even left the corrected mistakes. It got published.

and here:

What a novel idea! ;) My handwriting has deteriorated since starting to use computers in 1999. For one query I made, which had to be a hard copy, the agent stipulated that I write the letter introducing myself in pen. I acquired a fountain pen and a friend donated some deckle-edged paper. I was shocked how much writing a letter made my hand muscles ache. Normally, the only thing I write by hand are shopping lists and notes on scraps of card about my WIP. Nevertheless, I produced an elegant-looking letter and mailed it off. The agent didn't bother to reply! :mad:

I'm working on establishing a deeper, darker circle of Hell, below the icy bit, for those agents who don't reply.

I reckon if we all concentrate VERY hard on collectively ill-wishing them – you may add your own individual pet hates if you so desire – we should have one or two of the worst beginning to feel icy tingles in their feet by next weekend.

I saw him on breakfast telly this morning talking about this project.

My own handwriting was never great to begin with and now after the past twenty years plus of computer use, it has become virtually indecipherable - even for me less than five minutes after I've written something.

I saw him on breakfast telly this morning talking about this project.

My own handwriting was never great to begin with and now after the past twenty years plus of computer use, it has become virtually indecipherable - even for me less than five minutes after I've written something.
There's a saying I've heard (I think in Switzerland): the worse the handwriting, the more genius is the mind.

There's a saying I've heard (I think in Switzerland): the worse the handwriting, the more genius is the mind.

That sounds like a very sensible saying to me ;)
I am quite envious of those with really good handwriting though. If it weren't for computers I doubt if I'd have ever written anything (creative) whatsoever. I tried when younger and just got so discouraged by the unholy mess I made on the page. Inkblots and spider trails doesn't even come close when describing what it looked like.

TV iten said Andy Hamilton used 41 pens to write his book apparently.

I write my first drafts with pen and paper, do much of my thinking in long-hand. I go through a lot of pens. i don't use a fountain pen because i change hands frequently and the pen nib doesn't like that.
Sometimes I discover I've written something while sleeping. That's normally illegible, not always though, amazingly.

That's quite the skill.

You mean in the middle of the night? Wow. Writing is well and truly in your soul.

I only do the planning longhand. Once I know what I'm doing, I continue on the comp.
Yep. I wake up and I've written on the page! The latest one I could read was "It's like playing hide and seek with the world except the world has forgotten to keep looking." I don't know what I was dreaming about but, gosh! I'm going to keep that line and use it some place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasy Politics

Reality Check 10 Things Literary Agents Look for in a Book

Back