Reality Check You Tube Tutorials

Help! Looking for an agent to take me all the way to Disney!

Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisLewando

Basic
Feb 13, 2018
West Cork, Ireland
A real writer is always learning.... that's what I tell myself. I like to get a dose of something positive each day. When stuff is reiterated enough, it penetrates the skull.
I have a bundle of writitng books that I go back to and just chill with now and again. Monkeys with typewriters is a present favourite. (what's yours?)

There are also a bundle of people on You Tube telling us how to write. Note, I said 'telling'. Some people, even if they know their stuff, just confuse the issue further.
I have just discovered Diane Callaghan on You Tube. Her tutorials are free, and exceptionally clear. She backs up her comments with quotes from books from all ages. Her exposure of first person POV problems is great, and the one about good opening lines is a must. I am going on to some other ones today.

Have a listen. Any comments?

I forgot to mention, about the tutorials on viewpoint and first lines, that they pretty much deal in Voice, too, which is what Pete has been highlighting recently. Voice, Diane says, is obvious in the very first line of the books she quotes as examples, and she explains why. I was fascinated by her succinct, and yet obvious deductions - in hindsight we are all experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Looking for an agent to take me all the way to Disney!

Hello!

Back