• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Craft Chat Yellowface is just...sad.

Mel L

Blogger
LitBits
I don't know what makes me feel worse: that such a poorly written novel became a global bestseller, or that the publishing industry (and our online world in general) is such an easy target for satire. Depressing to say the least. Now I see it's been optioned for TV: Lionsgate TV Options ‘Yellowface’ by R.F. Kuang, Karyn Kusama Attached to Direct (EXCLUSIVE)

Sure, Yellowface is a page-turner: Kuang knows how to construct a narrative arc. But it is bogged down with too much heavy-handed interiority, info dumps about the industry and cultural appropriation, plot twists that beg plausibility.

On the bright side, I did learn a lot about the industry. I had never heard of IP writing for one thing. And I guess it's somewhat encouraging that a novel, however flawed, can become a bestseller if it hits the zeitgeist.

I saw this touted in the bookstores and had a look at it. The cover is very effective. But then quickly put it down. Nothing there compelled me so then it comes down to one of those books you are SUPPOSED to read that the publishers like to produce now and again to prove that they know literature when they see it. The problem is they DONT. Readers choose what transcends and gives catharsis. The books that will last. Publishers dont have a clue. The last Booker/ Nobel prizes being stellar examples. Readers LIKE punctuation. And story.

Back