Question: What are your themes?

News Apex Mag FF Contest Every Month

Question: Does anyone here write on Substack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich.

Emeritus
Sep 28, 2017
Spain
I've just watched an interview with John Bucher on the YouTube channel Film Courage, Everybody Tells Stories But Not Every One Is A Writer. The interview covers Bucher's perspective on what it is to be a writer and how writers tend to revisit the same themes in their stories. I find Bucher's delivery a little earnest, but much of what he says did chime with me. Particularly this (at 6'03" in the video):

One of the greatest discoveries that a writer can make are the specific themes that they are most compelled by. Many of us think early in our writing careers that there are thousands of themes that we want to explore, but I think the hard truth is if you look at any great writer, any great filmmaker, you find just a couple of themes that they keep coming back to over and over and over again.​

A little self reflection suggested that the principal themes I always return to, in both my reading and writing, are parent/child relationships, how the living relate to death, and how numinous experiences affect people. This is interesting to me because in my day-to-day life my general perspective on things is – I tell myself, at least – rational and physicalist. Perhaps I'm drawn to the numinous in my reading and writing because a daily diet of rationalism and physicalism leaves the soul undernourished. And yeah, I'm aware of the contradiction in that last sentence. That kind of thing is what keeps life interesting, isn't it?

So, themes, then. Do you agree with Bucher? If not, why not? And if you do, what are yours, and why?

[Edited for typos]

Last edited:
I think, no matter whether you write what you know or write what you research so you know, your themes have to be what you personally feel deeply about.
I write mainly YA. My themes, irrespective of story, are usually wanting or trying to fit in/being different/prejudice/persecution.

I think as people gain more life experiences, their themes might change.

Last edited:
That was a fantastic find! He really resonated with me. Totally get his reactions about 'Raiders' and 'Da Vinci.' His exercise is a great idea!

@Hannah F's totally right. I think big life experiences can shift what themes we find compelling.

I never considered 'secrets' a theme, but I'll take it. Secrets are all through what I write. So that's one I'm drawn to. Why? because of the damage they cause. It's like watching a train wreck. As long as it's not triggering, you don't want to see the damage, but part of you can't help looking.

I'm big on freedom too. I'm drawn to movements and revolutions and people fighting for their freedom. Why? because I feel strongly that's a basic human right. SPOILER: That scene in The Hunger Games where the crowd silently salutes Katniss gets me every single time.

Last edited:
I've just watched an interview with John Bucher on the YouTube channel Film Courage, Everybody Tells Stories But Not Every One Is A Writer. The interview covers Bucher's perspective on what it is to be a writer and how writers tend to revisit the same themes in their stories. I find Bucher's delivery a little earnest, but much of what he says did chime with me. Particularly this (at 6'03" in the video):

One of the greatest discoveries that a writer can make are the specific themes that they are most compelled by. Many of us think early in our writing careers that there are thousands of themes that we want to explore, but I think the hard truth is if you look at any great writer, any great filmmaker, you find just a couple of themes that they keep coming back to over and over and over again.​

A little self reflection suggested that the principal themes I always return to, in both my reading and writing, are parent/child relationships, how the living relate to death, and how numinous experiences affect people. This is interesting to me because in my day-to-day life my general perspective on things is – I tell myself, at least – rational and physicalist. Perhaps I'm drawn to the numinous in my reading and writing because a daily diet of rationalism and physicalism leaves the soul undernourished. And yeah, I'm aware of the contradiction in that last sentence. That kind of thing is what keeps life interesting, isn't it?

So, themes, then. Do you agree with Bucher? If not, why not? And if you do, what are yours, and why?

[Edited for typos]

Mental health usually pops up in my stories.

It's interesting, reading through these posts. All the mentioned themes cause damage, which I guess is obvious because without damage – without conflict – there is no story. So, if we've done nothing else, we've confirmed that from deeply felt themes stories may grow (and that everyone who has posted in this thread is indeed a conscious storyteller! :) )

Ooh, what an interesting topic!

I think misconception and misperception are probably my favourite areas of exploration.

We tend to be blinded about other people, situations and even ourselves, because we believe what we want to believe and disregard or dismiss what doesn't fit in with our worldview. One of my favourite narratives has always been concerned with characters who defy expectations and assumptions, because they give me hope that people are capable of reflection and can amend opinions based on new experiences.

I love moments of revelation, both for characters in a story and the reader.

Thank you for the thought-provoking prompt!

My themes are almost always about love, and the complexity of it. Not often romantic, but more the pain and ultimate peace that come from loving through hurt, mistakes, and generational grievances. And the way love might not transform a people but can transform people at the individual, spiritual level.

Often, my characters begin with deeply ingrained bitterness or even hatred concerning something that they must learn to move past.

Super cool thread. I really enjoyed the video (at x2 speed, he talks really slowly!) and everyone's comments. Themes are such an interesting topic! I also think it's fascinating how the same theme can come out of completely different stories, in completely different ways. Love it.

My themes are the usual sci-fi stuff. I'm obsessed with the unknown and the future, macro and micro. What is in the 95% of the universe that we don't know? What is the subconscious? What does our future look like living with AI? But I guess overall, my themes come back to what is my place in all that, as a tiny human being of limited existence, in such a vast universe of unknowns? Why everyone matters. How the individual effects everything. How we're all connected.

I like conspiracies too, and blowing them up. I guess that falls under secrets.

Oh, and adding in, the birth, causes, and effects of new technology to society. That's a big one for me.

Last edited:
Great thread. I think this is one reason I struggle to share my writing because I know it reveals more than the story I think I have written. Perhaps it's a psych analysis? Many years ago I read several stories a friend had written and that revealed her pain she had dealt with in life, although the stories were not about that directly. When I reread mine the returning feature I notice cropping up is sisterly bond. Even last week I was writing about a witch and out of nowhere her twin turned up, but that's witches for you.

I think this is one reason I struggle to share my writing because I know it reveals more than the story I think I have written. Perhaps it's a psych analysis?
That's a really good point, Susan, and I think you're right on both counts – how we reveal ourselves and how we self analyse. Does knowing yourself make you a better storyteller? I feel that it must. What do you (all) think?

And as for revealing oneself, that seems to be an ever more frightening challenge! The world seems deeply polarized, and in many social spheres, particularly online, one is expected ally oneself with a particular camp, a particular worldview, with all its attendant tenets – even if one doesn't agree with all of them (in which case one might be branded a heretic). Such a state of affairs doesn't leave much room for nuanced debate and discussion! So yeah, revealing oneself is frightening. But then, shouldn't we, as storytellers (as human beings) do that which which frightens us? Again, what do you all think?

I think the amount it reveals about you is partly in your head. Unless you are making political statements or preaching, anything your characters say or do or think is not necessarily revealing what the author says or does or thinks. However, I do believe one must write with an open and honest mindset. If you let your character wear your heart on their sleeve, the emotions will be all the more real.

been lurking around this thread for a couple days, so i might as well add my two cents (though i may just be echoing what others have already said here.)
i think it's really fascinating how, even unintentionally, an author's work can echo their experiences and beliefs solely through the common aspects of their different projects. another reminder why writing and visual art aren't all that dissimilar!
i definitely notice a few themes i keep coming back to in my stories; overcoming adversity and bigotry, the effects of traumatic events through one's life, and generally just LGBTQ+ teenagers going through bad stuff and making it out in one piece. identifying common themes really does tell you a lot about a writer!

Does knowing yourself make you a better storyteller? I feel that it must. What do you (all) think?
For sure, and I think writing helps to get to know yourself, so it's a cool loop. I also think being fascinated with people in general, studying inner workings, human nature, how/why we tick, is important for a writer.
And as for revealing oneself, that seems to be an ever more frightening challenge! The world seems deeply polarized, and in many social spheres, particularly online, one is expected ally oneself with a particular camp, a particular worldview, with all its attendant tenets – even if one doesn't agree with all of them (in which case one might be branded a heretic). Such a state of affairs doesn't leave much room for nuanced debate and discussion! So yeah, revealing oneself is frightening. But then, shouldn't we, as storytellers (as human beings) do that which which frightens us? Again, what do you all think?
I had a piece of advice once from a crazy, but impressive writer, that stuck with me. He said, "No one cares about the words you use, they care about your perspective on the world, so you'd better have one." It's affected not only how I tell a story, but what stories I tell. I always try to tell both sides of a story, and I try to make both compelling. Of course, I lean into my perspective, but I like to see if I can feel something for the other side too. Create a debate within myself. Sometimes I write a story so that I can clarify how I feel about something, or at least understand it better. In any case, I embrace my opinions, popular or not, which are subject to change. lol

I think it is a useful loop, I learn more about myself by reading, and paying attention, to themes cropping up in my stories. Then I hope I think, grow and get more interesting ideas to write.
@Rich. is interesting that people seem to go out of their way to be offended these days, so any ideas are a risk, but there's no growth without risk.

I think if we reveal our perspective, our pain, our choice of words or perspective...that's voice. That's why when critiquing we need to be careful not to discourage another writer's choice of words. A plug - check out this month's Craft Chat...https://colony.litopia.com/threads/november-2023-%E2%80%93-finding-your-voice.13451/

If you let your character wear your heart on their sleeve, the emotions will be all the more real.
Yes! Love how you've phrased this.

identifying common themes really does tell you a lot about a writer!
It does! (Or at least it creates a version of that writer in your mind.)

He said, "No one cares about the words you use, they care about your perspective on the world, so you'd better have one."
Love this.
I embrace my opinions, popular or not, which are subject to change.
And this.

there's no growth without risk
And this one is going up on a Post-it by my monitor.

That's why when critiquing we need to be careful not to discourage another writer's choice of words.
A thousand times, yes. (And nice plug, Rachel, for the Craft Chat on Voice – I'm over there being contrary :))

--

I'm enjoying this conversation a lot. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

News Apex Mag FF Contest Every Month

Question: Does anyone here write on Substack?

Back