• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Self-Publishing TikTok

Ed Simnett

LitBits
If you can get to New York Times content (free with registration I think) this is quite interesting on TikTok- how they are already selling books and potential plans to be a publisher.

I think one observation is that for people/companies who already have an audience, selling books is a way of making money from that audience. It is less clear that it make sense to create an audience as a starting point (so if you have audience then you can monetize via books, but you can't obviously start from books (i.e. the audiences don't identify and aggregate as "book buyers")). That might be a bit different for focused genres, but I doubt you could start a (for example) romantasy audience, from zero, with a first book or so. You'd need some other reason for people to be your audience.

This suggests to me publishers should be doing deals with audience owners (like they used to do with serializing books in popular newspapers?)

(like they used to do with serializing books in popular newspapers?)
I worked, at first as the most junior member of the Fiction department, in women's magazines back when they used to serialise novels by big authors. Usually timed alongside hardback publication.

I must admit I never could see how it would work for the publisher: we never normally published fewer than 8 weekly episodes – maybe 6 for a shorter book – and I can remember 10 once for a biggish book we'd paid a lot for. In a serialisation like that, regular readers have pretty much the entire book. Why then buy it?

I suppose buy the book as a gift for someone? Or rush to buy the author's next book? I still don't know.

Back