This is not a random, pointless thread.

Huddles – Small Change

November Writing Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Jul 26, 2018
Ireland
No, indeed it is not. This is a little post on the delight of scones, and how these delectable morsels will enhance your writing life in about eleven minutes.

So: when you are hungry and need a fifteen minute break from your latest masterpiece, and crave something transcendentally delicious and texturally pleasing, hot from the oven, you do this:

Turn on said oven (about 180'C); then, in a bowl, put in 250gms of self raising flour and rub in 40 gms of whatever-butter-you-prefer. Sprinkle two tablespoons of sugar and add in a little of whichever-milk-you-prefer until it just comes together (at this point you can add a handful of raisins if you are of the fruity variety). On a floured surface, pat it out to about 1 inch think, and then decisively cut into it (I like to make small 2" diameter scones, because they cook faster and don't go dry in the centre) (and be decisive about cutting out scones; a firm movement of hand. They don't like it when you are a bit wishy-washy with the cutting out).
(Oh, and don't over-handle the mixture too much. Scones are like cats, they only like to be cuddled when it suits them. You can cuddle your scones when you are shoving them into your mouth in one greedy bite).

Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Then, when JUST turning golden, remove from the oven, slice many of them in two, add more whatever-butter-you-prefer and preserve/jam. Then return to your writing cave and ta-dahhhhh!!!! Your genius will come pouring forth in unending Pulitzer-prize-winning sentences.

Attachments

• scones.PNG
    scones.PNG
    370.5 KB · Views: 3
Ooh! Maybe we need a baking thread. You know, to share our sweet inspirations ...
Best-selling novel (serves many) – pre-heat imagination, take one keyboard, one word-processing program of your choice, bash keys until fingers are sore, liberally dust with storytelling magic, and bake in a furnace of magic for three and a half years. Et voila!

Best-selling novel (serves many) – pre-heat imagination, take one keyboard, one word-processing program of your choice, bash keys until fingers are sore, liberally dust with storytelling magic, and bake in a furnace of magic for three and a half years. Et voila!

Can you send me the complete recipe, Rich? You know the one where you've not left out the special secret ingredient. ;)

I may try that tomorrow, thank you, Emily. If I can do the conversions.
@Victoria Bastedo , these won't be exact (but then, I've never been exact about anything and it's seemed to have served me well); To convert, you'd be talking about approx 2 cups of all-purpose flour (or plain flour with some baking powder, about a teaspoon); about a 1/4 cup of butter and two tablespoons of sugar. And enough milk to bring it all together. I've used a vanilla almond milk and it was delicious. But any milk you have on hand :)

@Victoria Bastedo , these won't be exact (but then, I've never been exact about anything and it's seemed to have served me well); To convert, you'd be talking about approx 2 cups of all-purpose flour (or plain flour with some baking powder, about a teaspoon); about a 1/4 cup of butter and two tablespoons of sugar. And enough milk to bring it all together. I've used a vanilla almond milk and it was delicious. But any milk you have on hand :)
Thank you, I'm slightly dyslexic, for want of a better explanation, and I'd already figured the ingredients incorrectly. This is a great help. Yes, almond milk is good! I had it in my tea once, as that's all my daughter had in the refrigerator, and my granddaughter came and drank the whole cup. So, I made a second, and she drank that one too. I got a taste though.

1603142262579.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddles – Small Change

November Writing Competitions

Back