Review The Blockbuster Formula is Not Working

Books, Movies or anything else

News Neil Gaiman on 1st drafts

Why the only recent good BBC series was Happy Valley

This is a big deal, I think.

The focus group / tent-pole franchise / IP-based approach to creating content that users want to see / read is dying. It’s producing turgid, formulaic rubbish. I’m damned if I want to pay $50 for two to see Marvel Cinematic Universe Brand Extension Vol 666. I’ve better things to do with my time and cash.

This trend will only get worse with the unthinking adoption of AI – which is 100% recursive – to IP generation.

I think there is a rebellion brewing among consumers. Everything that the big corporations have thrown money at has failed. People are creating their own zeitgeist.

Godzilla minus one is well worth the time. Not so much about a monster as the emotional state of post nuke, post lost war, Japan.
Part of the death of the blockbuster is that they're all just terrible. In the past, there have been some really well done ones" Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, the pre-sequeled to death super hero stuff.
The new trend reeks of fear. Taking a chance opens up a chance of brilliance, but also total failure. Not taking one at least keeps you below the berm.

This is a big deal, I think.

The focus group / tent-pole franchise / IP-based approach to creating content that users want to see / read is dying. It’s producing turgid, formulaic rubbish. I’m damned if I want to pay $50 for two to see Marvel Cinematic Universe Brand Extension Vol 666. I’ve better things to do with my time and cash.

This trend will only get worse with the unthinking adoption of AI – which is 100% recursive – to IP generation.

I just submitted a query on Querytracker with an agent who asked if AI was used at all...

Godzilla minus one is well worth the time. Not so much about a monster as the emotional state of post nuke, post lost war, Japan.
Part of the death of the blockbuster is that they're all just terrible. In the past, there have been some really well done ones" Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, the pre-sequeled to death super hero stuff.
The new trend reeks of fear. Taking a chance opens up a chance of brilliance, but also total failure. Not taking one at least keeps you below the berm.
It's the effect of shareholders come first. Why we have stagnated in fashion and any kind of innovation for decades. The only thing that has innovated is tech and that stops with AI.
Like my son says says all these techbros paddling like hell to educate AI to come up with an idea a humanities student came up with and trashed in their freshman year.

I think a lot of the appeal of GOT was the subconscious recognition of climate change. "Winter is Coming." And people wanted more bread, more circuses. Now people are moving more towards WTF do we do about winter coming. They want something real to sink their teeth into and the way humans have always done that is thru horror and fantasy IMO. With some Busby Berkely mindless entertainment thrown in.

Voila! Godzilla. Who was always a mixed metaphor for the Japanese. They hated him and loved him at the same time. Sort of like the American occupation.

Last edited:
Fall Guy reminded me of that formula. It was AWFUL! And after spending so much money on 3 Body Problem Netflix did better with an old series they picked up for 45k.

Which reminds me I really wanted to like Bodkin, but it isn't a fraction as good as "Bad Sisters." Tho the music is FANTASTIC it lacks Sharon Hogan's touch and went down the dark Irish soul snake hole. I think I really need to submit One Magic Summer to Irish publishers who I had confirmed to me do not require agents.

News Neil Gaiman on 1st drafts

Why the only recent good BBC series was Happy Valley

Back