Lonely as a Cloud

It’s Not What You Say…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooke

Basic
Mar 3, 2023
Georgia
i've never had a huge interest in "internet urban legends," but just yesterday i stumbled across an astounding phenomenon known as "The Backrooms": a sort of endless, inescapable "liminal space" plagued with physical and mental demons, only accessible by accidentally phasing through reality.
normally i wouldn't bring this up here, but i stumbled across a surprisingly well-known video (over 50 million views, and officially recognized by YouTube itself on its "18 Years, 18 Breakthroughs" playlist) of the Backrooms. it's admittedly a wonderfully crafted short film, and one that i wouldn't recommend watching in the dark if you're prone to nightmares. i find it to be an excellent source of inspiration, if not just a fascinating watch, and it's only 9 minutes or so. thoughts?

I think it's a really good visual metaphor for building worlds in writing. The trick w photography is limiting yourself to what comes thru the lens. In film you can use that limitation to trigger the imagination into doing its own world building. When we write the hardest thing is holding the lens to what the reader sees at that moment. At least for me. This has a very Minotaur meets Blair Witch vibe.

Last edited:
i've never had a huge interest in "internet urban legends," but just yesterday i stumbled across an astounding phenomenon known as "The Backrooms": a sort of endless, inescapable "liminal space" plagued with physical and mental demons, only accessible by accidentally phasing through reality.
normally i wouldn't bring this up here, but i stumbled across a surprisingly well-known video (over 50 million views, and officially recognized by YouTube itself on its "18 Years, 18 Breakthroughs" playlist) of the Backrooms. it's admittedly a wonderfully crafted short film, and one that i wouldn't recommend watching in the dark if you're prone to nightmares. i find it to be an excellent source of inspiration, if not just a fascinating watch, and it's only 9 minutes or so. thoughts?

Wow. I think I'll go drop some acid now. :oops:

OMG I totally jumped at the end. hahaha. Great example of building tension with practically nothing but our built in, pre-existing fears. Nice find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely as a Cloud

It’s Not What You Say…

Back