Question: stupid question, but what's the adverbial form of "panic"?

I think dumbing down the classics only benefits AI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooke

Basic
Mar 3, 2023
Georgia
i ran into this while writing a small thing earlier today (i know, blah blah don't use adverbs, blah blah if you use an adverb Stephen King will come and swoop you into one of his books), and i can't stop thinking about it. is it "panickedly"? is it "panickily"? is it "panically"? google's given me numerous answers, the top one being "haha no clue", so i thought i'd ask the litopian crowd what they'd use if they had a need for the word.

i ran into this while writing a small thing earlier today (i know, blah blah don't use adverbs, blah blah if you use an adverb Stephen King will come and swoop you into one of his books), and i can't stop thinking about it. is it "panickedly"? is it "panickily"? is it "panically"? google's given me numerous answers, the top one being "haha no clue", so i thought i'd ask the litopian crowd what they'd use if they had a need for the word.
The trouble with panic is it is a verb, and there aren't many verbs that make good adverbs. Most adverbs have their roots in adjectives.

The trouble with panic is it is a verb, and there aren't many verbs that make good adverbs. Most adverbs have their roots in adjectives.
that actually explains it really well why there's not a good adverbial form. i wouldn't use "runningly" or "shoutingly" in a sentence either!

edit: now i'm imagining a sentence like "He walked runningly." the horror...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think dumbing down the classics only benefits AI

Back