Blog Post: Skimming Stones

Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

News May The Fourth Be With You… (*)

Reality Check Lying Book Endorsements

From Our Blog

Feb 3, 2024
New blog post by Jonny – discussions in this thread, please
---

The pebble skimmed the surface ten times before running out of momentum, then seeming to flounder for a split second, sank into the dark still lake sending ripples radiating outwards.

“Ten, dad. Beat that,” said Michael.

“Hah, easy,” I said.

I scanned the shoreline and spotted a perfect skimmer. A small piece of ancient flint; toffee-brown and white with roughly splintered glass shards along its edge. Ideal for the job. This was going to be too easy. I already estimated my find was a good fifteener, at the very least.

A late summer’s evening with barely a breath of wind, meant no choppy water to worry about. The lake’s vast flat expanse stretched out in front of me, mirroring distant mountains towards the west.

“Last go, Dad. If you don’t make eleven, I’m the winner.”

I smiled. Michael was completely engaged playing skimming stones. A proper old school game that didn’t require a controller or smart device. Amazing.

“Watch and learn, Mikey. Make way for the master,” I said, mimicking a trumpet fanfare.

Standing back from the water’s edge, I hunkered down ready to take my throw. The flint was definitely my trump card and yet… at the crucial moment I just sensed something might go wrong.

I brought my arm back as far as I could to maximise launch velocity, but then subconsciously faltered as I threw. The flint stuck the water heavily, then plopped under the surface after only a measly three hops.

“Pathetic. Three. I win.” Michael’s beaming smile and twinkling eyes were a picture as he did a happy victory dance.

“Well done. You beat me fair and square,” I said. “Just like the day I beat Granddad here on this same spot forty years ago.”
---

By @Jonny
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…

I had a stone skimming deal with my Dad, and do now with my kids. Ours involves both number of skips, and number of places skimming. The game is self-policed, you have to get at least a single skip. then you have to tell everyone about it. It's a great game.

News May The Fourth Be With You… (*)

Reality Check Lying Book Endorsements

Back