Inside A Huddle – Developing Your Writer’s Voice

67 Calls for Submissions in January 2022 - Paying markets

Take A Moment Santa's on his way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a fantastic watch, thanks to all who were part of it, made for a thought-provoking session!

Watching the discussion, I'm feeling that voice is something that is developed and shaped over time, with lots of writing experience. Would you agree? Hearing those in the huddle talk about writing courses and degrees that don't really touch on voice - I'm wondering if this is because structure, narrative devices, etc can be taught, but a voice cannot. Your voice is your own blend, developed over time from writing countless stories. The voice becomes apparent as you get more words down. I'm at the start of my writing journey and grapple daily with 'is it interesting enough?' or 'does it sound right?' among many other questions. I yet don't know clearly what my voice is, but I think I will in time.

Also, this makes perfect sense why we read the same author over and over again, yet experience some stories that excite and intrigue us, and read some that feel a little flat. Their voice is strong and present but it could be the material, topic or story just doesn't connect with us.

Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to be part of the huddles!

This was a fantastic watch, thanks to all who were part of it, made for a thought-provoking session!

Watching the discussion, I'm feeling that voice is something that is developed and shaped over time, with lots of writing experience. Would you agree? Hearing those in the huddle talk about writing courses and degrees that don't really touch on voice - I'm wondering if this is because structure, narrative devices, etc can be taught, but a voice cannot. Your voice is your own blend, developed over time from writing countless stories. The voice becomes apparent as you get more words down. I'm at the start of my writing journey and grapple daily with 'is it interesting enough?' or 'does it sound right?' among many other questions. I yet don't know clearly what my voice is, but I think I will in time.

Also, this makes perfect sense why we read the same author over and over again, yet experience some stories that excite and intrigue us, and read some that feel a little flat. Their voice is strong and present but it could be the material, topic or story just doesn't connect with us.

Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to be part of the huddles!
To huddle, you need to upgrade to full membership, but that only costs around £9 per month (cheaper as 6 or 12 month membership). If you upgrade today or tomorrow you will qualify for the discount. Huddles are worth it, I promise. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

67 Calls for Submissions in January 2022 - Paying markets

Take A Moment Santa's on his way!

Back