Rant I loved Erma Bombeck, but I dont think she would have asked 524.00

News WriteMentor Novel and Picture Book Awards 2024 (Kidlit)

Reality Check Try Writing Fiction in N Korea

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
Speaking of expensive weekends to teach you ...what? How can you learn to write in a weekend? I grew up reading Erma Bombeck. She was the original accidental writer who fell into the career. Down to earth, she could make mothers and daughters laugh together.
I cannot imagine she would sanction this kind of sheep-shearing.

I didn't know about this workshop, took a look, and thought it was a great deal. Then ... when I went to apply, I saw that it was sold out.

Workshops are a much bigger deal now than they were when Erma was at her peak so it's tough to know what she would have actually thought of them. For people like me - who welcome the chance to share work face to face without the pressure of an editor's decision - they're a pleasure. Dayton, Ohio might not be a vacation spot, but a few days at a university campus with the like-minded seems pretty good.

And as workshops go; the price isn't that bad.

Erma spoke for housewives trying to squeeze a little me time out of grocery budgets. Take it from me she would not think this was a bargain. Very nice for those who can afford it.

Speaking of expensive weekends to teach you ...what? How can you learn to write in a weekend? I grew up reading Erma Bombeck. She was the original accidental writer who fell into the career. Down to earth, she could make mothers and daughters laugh together.
I cannot imagine she would sanction this kind of sheep-shearing.
I LOVED Erma! Growing up, like you, I shared my love of her humor with my mother.
As for the workshop/conferences: you cannot learn to write in a weekend but you can take away a lot of learning and inspiration. However, those kinds of headlines don't sell in this instant gratification culture. Writing retreats/conferences/seminars and education in general have become big business. And those are some pretty well known names on the marquee.

I LOVED Erma! Growing up, like you, I shared my love of her humor with my mother.
As for the workshop/conferences: you cannot learn to write in a weekend but you can take away a lot of learning and inspiration. However, those kinds of headlines don't sell in this instant gratification culture. Writing retreats/conferences/seminars and education in general have become big business. And those are some pretty well known names on the marquee.
My objection is using Erma Bombeck's name to shill what is pure commerce. Money is very definitely a feminist issue. And dear Erma knew it.

News WriteMentor Novel and Picture Book Awards 2024 (Kidlit)

Reality Check Try Writing Fiction in N Korea

Back