grammar...

News Look out for these kinds of Competitions

Versopolis Poetry Expo 24

Ed Simnett

Jul 25, 2021
Hong Kong
So Grammarly flags one grammar error in my writing, the only correction it suggests in a half page.

So I make that change.

Guess what the *only* grammar error that Word now flags is?

But there are strict rules, and you must be right, or everyone thinks you are an idiot!

<Ed channels his frustration from High School English where it sometimes felt that grammar, spelling, and hand writing were far more important than the werds themselves>

So Grammarly flags one grammar error in my writing, the only correction it suggests in a half page.

So I make that change.

Guess what the *only* grammar error that Word now flags is?

But there are strict rules, and you must be right, or everyone thinks you are an idiot!

<Ed channels his frustration from High School English where it sometimes felt that grammar, spelling, and hand writing were far more important than the werds themselves>
Yes. I have this a lot with various software. Most of the time, it's because the algorithms don't take the full sentence into consideration and only look for patterns.
E.g.
Once he'd jumped through the window, the...
Word is adamant the comma goes after 'jumped', but the clause isn't finished till 'window'

Regardless of the platform, I am going to have grammatical errors, so I just lean in :)

-- With that said, I do find that Chat GPT does find some with more contextual consideration, but it's also limited on the amount of text it will proof.

I used to use Prowriting aid. Similar to Grammarly. In the end, I found it stifled my creativity. Books aren't perfect and are meant to have errors. If it's too perfect, it's robotic, and no one wants to read AI.

Of course, grammar is vital so you don't confuse the reader. How authors choose to apply their grammar (consciously) is part of their voice, flaws and all. So embrace the flaws. Take a leap of faith. Ditch Grammarly and flick off those embittered copyeditors!

I think programmes like Grammarly and others should be used for reference only, and their suggestions taken with a massive pinch of salt. Adherence to their prompts will often be at the cost of voice.

My advice is trust you own instincts. We all like our work to be 100% grammatically ‘right’ of course. But if you feel your ability to write reasonably well is sound, then go with it,

And… there’s right and there’s right, and I have it on the best of authority - an editor with a major mainstream publisher, also several agents - no one we are likely to be subbing to is going to be phased by such issues. Furthermore, simple grammatical errors are ignored when assessing the quality of the writing and potential commercial viability overall. After all, there are people employed as editors and proof readers…

I once, as an exercise, dropped 1000 words of a published and highly thought of work into Grammarly. Its report was damning. Following through on its proposed suggestions would have seen a completely different piece. My ‘takeaway’ (what a vile expression) was it was a good job the author never heeded it.

Last edited:
I used to use Prowriting aid. Similar to Grammarly. In the end, I found it stifled my creativity. Books aren't perfect and are meant to have errors. If it's too perfect, it's robotic, and no one wants to read AI.

Of course, grammar is vital so you don't confuse the reader. How authors choose to apply their grammar (consciously) is part of their voice, flaws and all. So embrace the flaws. Take a leap of faith. Ditch Grammarly and flick off those embittered copyeditors!
Totally agree.

readers…

I once, as an exercise, dropped 1000 words of a published and highly thought of work into Grammarly. Its report was damning. Following through on its proposed suggestions would have seen a completely different piece. My ‘takeaway’ (what a vile expression) was it was a good job the author never heeded it.
Jonny I like takeaway as a metaphor. I always picture chili cheese fries. Oooh. OOH. Or Dorito Nachos!

See auto correct just changed child to child. to prove your point.

News Look out for these kinds of Competitions

Versopolis Poetry Expo 24

Back