Important! RIP Writing Groups 'like' button

32 Calls for Submissions in November 2018 - Paying Markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikky Lee

Nikky Lee
Jul 27, 2018
New Zealand
Had a bit of free time yesterday to play around in Canva to create this. Though some of you might like it.

Also thought it would be a good opportunity to pick people's brains about their process when writing fictional races—do you make up your own, or work with ones that are already established or draw from mythology/folklore? Or both?

Fleshing out a fantasy race_Nikky Lee.png

I'm reading The Borrowers to my kids, we are on the fourth or fifth book, but the bit that interests them most is the "world/race" that has been created and how. I must show them that infographic tomorrow, very interesting!

Great questions. Thanks for posting this. :)

As for process, I don't have one. I haven't been writing long enough to have anything so organized. ;) But I am working with a fictional race at the moment, a people who live alongside homo sapiens. I've developed them by thinking about the fact that we sapiens haven't always been the only living member of the Homo genus; by thinking about the way memory works and is stored; and by thinking about the best kind of skin colour for living in a forest. I won't elaborate further because I think they're kind of cool, and I'm not quite ready to share them. :)

I've developed them by thinking about the fact that we sapiens haven't always been the only living member of the Homo genus; by thinking about the way memory works and is stored;

Oo, sounds Clan of the Cave Bear-esk. I think I saw you mention it one of the other threads. Can't wait to hear more when you're ready to share :)

Sounds quite fascinating @Rich. We have a forest at the end of our garden (well, a small one) We have very many fantasies about having to move there should some dastardly apocalyptic thing happen (A huge tree overturned and left a crater-like room. There were many talks about bringing an old stove down there and a few rugs :D)

@Nmlee , Yes! There are five I think. So very exciting, we are thoroughly enjoying them (although could have been improved with some Litopian critiques!!) and the stories have been really quite surprising in how they have progressed. I got The Lifters by Dave Eggers out of the library, so we'll try that next (Great sadness from everyone at the mere thought of finishing The Borrowers) Seems to be on a similar vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Important! RIP Writing Groups 'like' button

32 Calls for Submissions in November 2018 - Paying Markets

Back