You are not the exception to the rule

RIP Christopher Tolkien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Baxter

Basic
Oct 25, 2019
Cornwall, England.
I've been toying with the idea of writing a Gamebook, but for adults or maybe YA. Yeah, you know? A Gamebook! Like the old 'pick your own adventure' or 'Secret Path' books, where the reader becomes the protagonist and is able to make decisions that affect the plot and outcome of the story. There doesn't seem to be many about (probably with good reason). Such a thing would be a nightmare to construct, but probably fun, too. But is it A) Cool or B) A naff gimmick?

I find those fascinating, but the thoughts of compiling one would bring me out in a cold sweat...!

And, may I ask: what is "Bandersnatch"? It sounds a little... dodgy. Rude. Just if you are planning on it as a title ;)

HAHAHA. Does it sound rude, or do you have a filthy mind? Probably should have cleared that up. Bandersnatch was an episode of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror, on Netflix, in which the viewer can select what happens to the character, by choosing either yes or no at various plot points in the show.

I've been toying with the idea of writing a Gamebook, but for adults or maybe YA. [...] But is it A) Cool or B) A naff gimmick?
Maybe another way of looking at it would be to ask how you can reach the people who think it's cool. For those of us who grew up with Choose Your Own Adventure books, there's a massive nostalgia factor there. And for younger adults there's cachet in analogue artifacts, for the same reason stoners in the 90s listened to 60s Dylan.

A quick Google search suggests there is a market, and publishers, out there for gamebooks. What are the publishers' submission requirements? Do they want ideas or finished manuscripts? Do they have writing guides? Digging into their websites might answer a lot of your questions.

For those of us who grew up with Choose Your Own Adventure books, there's a massive nostalgia factor there.

I grew up reading the Goosebumps Choose Your Own Adventure books (a few examples here). So, for me yes, there is definitely a nostalgia factor. But for MG/YA readers new to it? Hmm, hard to tell.

I could see this working well with LitRPG books (where the protagonist/you are trapped in a game). Some already do this I think (but not many). This is one I found after a quick Google. Percival Pouncer and the Problematic Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

You are not the exception to the rule

RIP Christopher Tolkien

Back