• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Dandelion Break AI “Journalist” Falsely Accuses DA Of Murder…

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
LitBits
United-Nations
I love (er, hate…) this example of AI-replacing-real-writers:

AI Sludge Local News Site Hoodline Falsely Accuses San Mateo DA Of Murder

There’s so much wrong with this crackpot media business model that I’m struggling as to where to begin.

Let me repeat one more time: “AI” is not intelligent. It’s pattern-matching. That’s all. AI does not “hallucinate”. That’s a human characteristic, not applicable to pattern-matching algorithms. AI doesn’t even “think”, because that, too, is a human (animal) characteristic.

This machine/human confusion is quite deliberately being spread by the tech bros / shysters who are pumping and dumping their way to billionairehood. Please don’t let’s get taken in.

One thing that infuriates me is that the avalanche of investment money poured into AI has halted research and development into alternative energies as well as construction of infrastructure. Microsoft buying 3 mile island in order to power their AI program is an example of this Easter Island mentality. Every baby programmer I meet is CONVINCED nuclear power is safe and is the only means to their end. Which may be true-but they don't really understand the end that awaits down that path.

One thing that infuriates me is that the avalanche of investment money poured into AI has halted research and development into alternative energies as well as construction of infrastructure. Microsoft buying 3 mile island in order to power their AI program is an example of this Easter Island mentality. Every baby programmer I meet is CONVINCED nuclear power is safe and is the only means to their end. Which may be true-but they don't really understand the end that awaits down that path.
Baby programmers? Gee they start young these days!

Back