show don't tell / Art of Stories (Steve Almond)

Blog Post: Writes and wrongs

News The news is out!

Ed Simnett

Jul 25, 2021
Hong Kong
Hearing lots of good things about Steve Almond's book the Art of Good Stories (now to actually get a copy here in darkest wherever).

This is a recent interview at XYZZYVA. I thought this extract on Show don't Tell was interesting.

"Z: Another observation I found especially resonant is how many writers you’ve taught seem to have taken their cues from TV shows and films rather than from books: “I continue to encounter manuscripts with far too much vivid camera work and far too little actual storytelling. Vital information has been withheld, and the result, I often feel, is that I am not being told a story at all, so much as being asked to solve a puzzle.” The way to remedy this, you note, is to make sure your story has a bona fide narrator, i.e. someone who tells. Showing can only take us so far. Why do you think the bromide “show, don’t tell” persists?

"SA: Well, to begin with, it’s a very useful idea. Readers want to see moments of passion and betrayal dramatized, not summarized. We want to be inside the characters, in real time, when shit is going down. Completely get that. The problem is that this workshop mantra has become a kind of mindless dogma. Writers think that if they’re writing in scene it’s automatically more compelling to the reader than exposition. And that’s simply not true if the reader has no idea what’s happening in a scene, or what’s at stake. The reason this has become dogma has to do with two forces.

"First, the fact that TV and movies are the dominant forms of storytelling in our culture. This means that most writers come to the keyboard feeling deeply insecure, worried that the reader will wander off to Netflix unless they, the writer, hooks them immediately by plunging them into some moment of chaos. Sadly, agents and editors—who are operating under the same pressures—tend to reinforce this message, so that it becomes a kind of groupthink echo chamber.

"We’ve lost faith in the power of traditional narration. In our panic to enthrall the reader, we’ve forgotten that the reader isn’t picking up a book because they want to watch a movie. They’re picking up a book because they want to hear a story. And they want a narrator who can guide them through that story, who can tell them who they should care about, and what sort of ruin or redemption awaits. You don’t have to ditch show-don’t-tell to do that. You just have to modify it a bit. Tell me just enough that I can feel what I’m being shown."

his web site includes a bunch of stuff he is doing for promotion, which might be a guide/playbook for others...

Excellent piece. So much dogma out there. In my view it often hinders far more than it helps.

I believe it frequently instils feelings of inadequacy and thus many give up as they think - “I don’t know how to write properly.”

Good read. Lots to take away from that.

I do think that hooking the reader pretty quickly is important though. Doesn’t have to be with a moment of chaos. But it has to be with something. I’ve put down lots of books that didn’t grab me thinking I’d get back to them and never did. In sci-fi it can be a concept, but there’s hooking and then there’s keeping. Generally, characters keep me in it.

I always feel like it’s show OR tell. It’s a choice like pov and when to world build or add foreshadowing or any of the million choices a writer makes in telling the most interesting story in the most interesting way.

I always feel like it’s show OR tell. It’s a choice like pov and when to world build or add foreshadowing or any of the million choices a writer makes in telling the most interesting story in the most interesting way.
Exactly this ;) There are people who feel telling is forbidden. If we didn't tell at times every book written would be several thousand pages long. Our stories have to be a balanced mix of both.

Some of my favorite books have been tell don't show. They have shown, but not written as a book made to turn into a Marvel action movie.

Lately read:

Exactly this ;) There are people who feel telling is forbidden. If we didn't tell at times every book written would be several thousand pages long. Our stories have to be a balanced mix of both.
I think if every book showed and didn't tell, we'd miss out on enjoying some really brilliant character/narrator stuff. I love that there's so many cool ways to tell a story.

The problem (for me) is when stories only show or only tell. I agree, it has to be both, each at the right time.

One of my favourite authors is Chris Bookmyre. He writes wonderfully dark and funny satirical thrillers.

He will frequently use pages of telling without ever losing my engagement or the pace and drive of his narrative.

Thanks @Ed Simnett for the excerpt and the link to the full article which is really interesting. I'll be keen to read this book when it comes out. His thoughts on doubt and cynicism resonated with me.

And I too find the show don't tell stance wearying at times (although it's an important criticism to level at myself to try to get that balance right).
@Jonny 's post made me think of the fiction I enjoy which can be heavy on tell and none the worse for it. Ian McEwan's Lessons and Julian Barnes' Elizabeth Finch spring to mind. A whole lotta telling going on in these brilliant novels.

I feel like "Show Don't Tell" and "Pacing" are (frustratingly apparently actionable/editable) go-to bromides for people who want to be seen to be helpful, without putting much thought into it.
The tricky thing is that sometimes, it is an appropriate bit of feedback. It's just that it's sometimes used like you said, as a blanket catch phrase, which is annoying. It's just gotten too easy to say.

The tricky thing is that sometimes, it is an appropriate bit of feedback. It's just that it's sometimes used like you said, as a blanket catch phrase, which is annoying. It's just gotten too easy to say.
"a stopped clock is right twice a day" ;-) [sorry but the ball was hanging agonizingly over the basket there...]

Blog Post: Writes and wrongs

News The news is out!

Back