Pitch wars #Pitmad is on

Ruthless Self-Editing

Rant Sort of a rant (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two tweets in and three likes already ...except - ah.... two from very dodgy looking 'publishers' and an agent with no sales record whatsoever!

Just for a moment there .... :confused:

Is it a newer agent, perhaps? Hopefully something like that, at least. I have 340 engagements for my first tweet--easily an all-time high for me--but absolutely zero interest so far.

Anyone having better luck?

@Kirsten. There is an agent, David Rozansky. He avoids #PitMad...says it overwhelms his feed (and he is not the only agent who doesn't like it.)

Nil desperandum if one does not get a bite...it will come round again, it is crazy crowded. and there might only be a few agents who are even looking....

It is good for practising the pitch.

I had a bite before, and then a pass....they wanted it first person and it was third person at that time....fair enough. I did the extra work to find out how that would work, and I liked it, but they won't get a second chance. We're workers, not beggars.

This agent says he is open to pitches via twitter and he seems to like sci-fi.

David Rozansky (@DavidRozansky) | Twitter

Last edited:
@Lex Black the agent is indeed new and seems to check out. She's only liked a dozen or so tweets so I'll probably give her a shot.

The publishers on the other hand!!! My oh my - they're liking loads of random stuff and looking at their websites doesn't fill me with confidence! I'll be giving them a wide berth :)

Off to give you a retweet!

@Kirsten there is a "latest" and "top" tab in Twitter's search results. One will order the results according to popularity, the other will order them in chronological order with the most recent tweets at the top. Hope that helps.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 8.52.29 AM.png

OK, so far I have exactly zero interest from anyone. Trying out the quote pitch now. Incoming!

Kaaaaa-TWEET!

OK, so far my first pitch got one like, which was...then undone by the user in question. :oops: The second pitch has a like...anyone familiar with these guys?

Cuil Press (@CuilPress) | Twitter
Home | Cuil Press

They appear to be primarily about romance, which is...decidedly not my thing, but they're also about inclusive fantasy and sci-fi which is more my speed. :) Any thoughts?

@Nmlee I've just seen you on Twitter- and you are following me.... So nice to see you there. Here in Italy it is about 22.30, in England they are an hour behind. The pitmad Eastern Time in the US is 16.30. And in New Zealand where you are, it's already Friday 7th Dec 10.30 in the morning.... Well, they do say the world is round.

@Eva Ulian yep, it's quite the time difference!

@Lex Black I found this thread on Cuil Press. Cuil Press

Looking at their website, they're relatively new and have only published one book in Jan 2018. There are no reviews for it on Amazon after almost a year, which suggests they may not do any marketing for their author(s). If you approach, do so with eyes wide open.

@Eva Ulian yep, it's quite the time difference!

@Lex Black I found this thread on Cuil Press. Cuil Press

Looking at their website, they're relatively new and have only published one book in Jan 2018. There are no reviews for it on Amazon after almost a year, which suggests they may not do any marketing for their author(s). If you approach, do so with eyes wide open.

Drat. I knew it was too good to be true.

I received a like from someone called Mandy Melanson at RhetAskew Publishing in the US. They look like a fairly recent start up. Anyone come across any red flags?

I tweeted a pitch earlier, and want to tweet the same one again, but it won't let me. What do I do? OK I changed one letter - and introduced a spelling mistake! Aargh!

Last edited:
It's @rainsfordryan, but I'm not pitching, I'm just retweeting :) Let me know what your handle is, and I'll retweet.

Hoping to head to bed shortly so I'll get all my tweeting done before I do!

Iḿ not pitching either, but i like to follow fellow litopias on twitter. im @badwolfgirl2768

Woke to the excitement of two new likes - only to be from publishers who have already rejected this particular project! Still - at least I know the pitch works - and people are still looking for thrillers - even if they are not necessarily the right kind of people for me :)

STEM and YA SF seem to be dead ducks!

The second pitch got 1 like. An agent in NY. The useful thing for me is that she liked that one but the first one didn't get a bite. Beyond that it's just a targeted query opportunity.

A writer tweeted: Hello #PitMad friends! Gentle reminder to not despair if you don't get any requests. I always failed miserably at Twitter pitch contests but got multiple agent offers via good ol querying. DON'T GIVE UP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruthless Self-Editing

Rant Sort of a rant (maybe)

Back