Part-time Genius - How do you cope?

From AGNI: Five things the submitting author should know

F

HarperCollins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a realist, actually...
I was asked, a long time ago, if I was an optimist or a pessimist. I responded realist. After giving me a confused look I got asked,"An optimist sees a glass as half-full, a pessimist sees it as half-empty. How does a realist see it?"
I looked at him, shocked, and said,"You have a glass?" "I understand!" was all he said.

Doesn't this thread presuppose that we're geniuses? I know I'm not one!

Last edited:
I was asked, a long time ago, if I was an optimist or a pessimist. I responded realist. After giving me a confused look I got asked,"An optimist sees a glass as half-full, a pessimist sees it as half-empty. How does a realist see it?"
I looked at him, shocked, and said,"You have a glass?" "I understand!" was all he said.

Half filled with water and topped up by air.

As to the original question, I'm up at 4AM on weekdays, and sometimes on weekends. I do my promo stuff, and sneak in writing if there's time. Then I need to shower, etc. and drive to my EDJ. I sneak in writing at the EDJ when I can, but I have to be careful, and obviously I need to do that work first. Then I write when I get home, and most weekends as well as days off the EDJ I'm writing. I don't really separate the two, other than to not talk about my writing at work. Most of my co-workers know I write, but we don't discuss it. I work for an insurance company in corporate America so I have to be very, very careful. But my pen names are just as much a part of who I am as the person who shows up at the EDJ and does that work is. I'm always "on" under all three names - my real one, and both pen names. I couldn't separate it any more than I could change my eye color. :) I'm also fortunate in that my husband and daughter are 100% supportive of my obsession… I mean my writing. :)

Like some, I no longer do the "9 to 5". My wife is blind (mostly) so I take her where she needs to go, when she needs me to. I spend lots of time on the computer during the week, but try to quit about 5:00 pm PST to watch tv with the wife and knit. That being said, I have to make lots of notes on most everything (memory issues). Like most of you, I plot and plan in my head a lot, make notes, etc. and work on editing my completed novel. There are times I get tired of being in the realm of my first and second book, so will spend time weaving another one. The hard part I have to remember to make a note about some insight I thought of while driving. I sometimes forget to make a note about something I wanted (or needed) to remember later. Note: My first novel started as a short-story in 1974 and then spent 30+ years banging around inside my head until it finally started to escape in 2005.

Not only a writer, not only all the other things, but also someone's rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

From AGNI: Five things the submitting author should know

F

HarperCollins

Back