Help! My series title sucks

Blog Post: Test pls delete

Question: Help me understand this about page word counts.

or. along those lines (boys):
Boys Are Back
B.A.B.
Back in Town (or riffing)
Back in Fairhaven
Where the Boys Are
Etc, pretty much every song with the word boys in the title, I guess
Boys being a bit problematic, given NAMBLA complications. Before the Seoul Olympics a fixer took me to a club where the the stripper danced to "It's Raining Men" in a clear plastic raincoat and ended by revealing his penis in a shiny metal faucet tap. I never got to ask him how he held that on. I mean it looked real.

A few thoughts to play with . . . (as if you don't have enough already).
The Fairhaven Affairs
Fairhaven: Behind Hallowed Walls
Or to up the angst + factor -- Raw Desire at Fairhaven
So, for example: Hushed: The Fairhaven Affairs Book #---
And one further thought -- There is, as I'm sure you know, a difference between naming a novel and a series that includes multiple novels. Some of the suggested words feel more fitting for novel than series titles, at least to me. Could be just me. (The "Raw Desire" idea is in this probably in this category.)
Good luck with this! :)
I like The Fairhaven Affairs

I still say to stay with Fairhaven. It has a dark, melodramatic feel to it, like Alice in Wonderland or The Hobbit. Daring the reader to jump into a series that will not be pretty. Like 1984, it promises utopia and delivers the opposite. Same for Hunger Games backstory.

I thought maybe Fairhaven Affairs might work because it has a hint of double entendre.
I get that, I am just not sure it's an entendre is the direction Jason is looking. I am not sure it's not. I'm just not sure. the modern sexual meaning involves a married person with either another married, to someone else or not person. The old school, An affair to remember old, version, probably doesn't hit with his target market. That said, I'm not sure if it hits or misses. But only Jason would know that.

I get that, I am just not sure it's an entendre is the direction Jason is looking. I am not sure it's not. I'm just not sure. the modern sexual meaning involves a married person with either another married, to someone else or not person. The old school, An affair to remember old, version, probably doesn't hit with his target market. That said, I'm not sure if it hits or misses. But only Jason would know that.
I had similar thoughts. I'm wondering if "double entendre," as well as "affair," can't be more loosely defined. While we don't want it to be misleading for readers, it doesn't have to be too "on the nose" either. Innuendo is very enticing, however it might be interpreted by an individual reader. The book titles will more specifically reflect the different stories. Potential readers can put "2 and 2" together. Some think of an affair as a romantic relationship with emotional involvement, while others may think affairs can be just a "fling," and purely sexual. Still others might have entirely different interpretations. While the series title will tie them all together, the book titles, and blurbs, will be what readers most respond to. The series title will guide them to find the other related books, and the more of them they read, the more they'll say they enjoy the "(Series title)" and seek the books out. But I don't think it's as likely that a reader will start reading a series of novels only because a series title has sparked their interest. It would be interesting to ponder what, exactly, the job of a series title is. I'm not writing one, and have no plans to do so, but I'm open to learning more.

Boys being a bit problematic, given NAMBLA complications. Before the Seoul Olympics a fixer took me to a club where the the stripper danced to "It's Raining Men" in a clear plastic raincoat and ended by revealing his penis in a shiny metal faucet tap. I never got to ask him how he held that on. I mean it looked real.

There's a good lesson in this song for us. The big time singers all rejected it, Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Cher, Babs, etc. In the end, the weather girls were perfect for it and it defined their careers. Same happens in publishing. If it is right, we will find the right fit, if we keep working it.
And take off the faucet. of course.

Last edited:
There's a good lesson in this song for us. The big time singers all rejected it, Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Cher, Babs, etc. In the end, the weather girls were perfect for it and it defined their careers. Same happens in publishing. If it is right, we will find the right fit, if we keep working it.
And take off the faucet. of course.
The faucet was a very good fit. And he worked it like a pro. So good catch.

I agree with your wise words. Do you. Everyone else is taken. If you're going to fail do it on your terms. At least you learn something.

Blog Post: Test pls delete

Question: Help me understand this about page word counts.

Back