Suggestion Lemon juice to deter spiders

December Flash Club winner

Fantastic Video: Phoebe Waller-Bridge writing tips

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
Granted this is a bit of detour, but though I admire the industry of the Irish spiders I find their set dressing distressing. I cleaned my chandelier in Sept but before xmas it looked like something from Miss Havisham's antique wedding feast. So I was very interested to see this. It's another use for my squeezed lemon halves.
You only need one household item to stop spiders coming into your home

3911827_31_articleinline_iStock-612630690.jpg

Like many people, I have a completely irrational fear of spiders.

While there are some I tolerate because they seem non-threatening to me, I have a deep-set fear of one of those large, gnarly guys finding his way through my bedroom window.

I’ve gotten quite good at ensuring the eight-legged monsters stay outside, and it’s been a great relief — even when the windows are thrown open during a heatwave.

If you’re like me and want to keep them as far away as possible, you only need one thing: Lemon juice.

As a teenager, I read that spiders’ taste buds are in their feet, so if they step on something that tastes horrible to them, they’ll do a full 180-degree turn to get away from it.

It’s common knowledge at this stage that spiders, flies, and other insects aren’t so fond of citrus scents, hence the rise of citronella candles on our garden tables.

The article I read suggested wiping your window with some lemon juice, and I ran straight to the fridge for the little squeezy bottle we had left over from Pancake Tuesday.

Rather than wipe the window I went further. I wiped it on the glass, but also the outer windowsill, the inside of the window while it was open, and the inside of the glass too.

I reapplied whenever the thought crossed my mind, probably twice a year.

I’m not exaggerating when I say it was years before a spider dared to step foot in my room again.

If you’re extra paranoid, you could even wipe down the front and back doors.

I can’t say with certainty how often you need to redo it.

I do it whenever I remember, which might only be once or twice a year — especially coming into winter when my warm home seems even more inviting.

If you want to be more cautious, you could add it into your household cleaning routine and give a final lemony layer to your freshly cleaned windows and doors.

Yes, it works. I wipe the bottom of every skirting board and door with lemon and peppermint right through spider season. I does keep the buggers out. Some still find another crack somewhere to get in, but they are few and far between (though still horrid and scary) compared to my pre-lemon era.

I do love a new fact. Didn't know about the sense of taste in the feet. And I see this is true. They can taste things before they eat them through taste receptors on the legs, feet and pedipalps. I quite like spiders, not least because of mozzies. We have a pond outside and in a hot late summer, oh boy.

Spiders that is, of up to a certain size...who needs to create an alien monster. The face of a giant spider with all its intelligent eyes.....NOPE

This is a drawing of Ida the Spider from a short story in verse. Ida is not happy. Someone swept away her cobweb, though I don't know why I gave her green pedipalps. The hairbow and the pearls on the other hand, a no-brainer. Ida was based- EXCEEDINGLY loosely...on a wolf spider that used to live in the fireplace in a cottage we lived in for a little while. She used to come out and look at us then climb back up again.

Attachments

• ida.JPG
    ida.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
This is a drawing of Ida the Spider from a short story in verse. Ida is not happy. Someone swept away her cobweb, though I don't know why I gave her green pedipalps. The hairbow and the pearls on the other hand, a no-brainer. Ida was based- EXCEEDINGLY loosely...on a wolf spider that used to live in the fireplace in a cottage we lived in for a little while. She used to come out and look at us then climb back up again.

Watching some dinosaur thing with my thenyoung son I learned there was a phase of evolution with giant spider/scorpians. And of course the filmmakers showed a very realistic sequence of what that looked like. Never forgotten it. Why small things persisted when big died is still somewhat mysterious, but I think in our Jungian memory we know....

So on the other hand I'm grateful for the Smol. th-955876346.jpeg

December Flash Club winner

Fantastic Video: Phoebe Waller-Bridge writing tips

Back