• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Keyboard Hygiene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

This morning, I had a strange issue with the keyboard of my Acer Aspire 3, which saw the Backspace key behaving in a bonkers way—sometimes, it wouldn’t work at all—other times, it deleted everything I’d typed! :confused:

Panicking, I searched for solutions, fearing a virus (rare with Linux) or a failed driver. After two hours of trying different solutions, including those offered by YouTube experts, I finally noticed the problem. Digging down the side of the Backspace key with a plastic toothpick dislodged detritus, probably mainly flakes of my skin. Carefully prising the key off, I found more of me! Yeuk, but a few dabs of ethyl alcohol on a cotton bud cleaned things well and the key snapped back on, working correctly.

Shining a bright light on the keyboard showed how stained the keys are, so I’ll be doing more cleaning. Some laptops have keyboards that are easy to replace, as I pointed out in an old thread, so it’s hardly worth cleaning them.

My two-year-old Acer has a different style of keyboard, which is only replaceable by dismantling the case and drilling out plastic securing rivets. However, the keys unclip from the front.

Like this:

Should you be a fan of WD40, this video may reassure you that it’s safe to use:

Be aware, though, that it shows the keyboard removed from the laptop. I wouldn’t spray WD40 willy-nilly onto a live laptop, as who knows how the motherboard would be affected. It’s worth remembering that one of the ingredients of WD40 is petrol! I once saw a biker set his Norton alight by spraying its damp electrics with WD40, which ignited on the hot engine.

Removing a keyboard or undoing a computer’s case can reveal a shocking amount of fluff, hair and skin particles, however clean you keep your house. A laptop’s cooling fan sucks in a lot of gunk, so I clean mine a couple of times annually.

After all, you don’t want to end up with this:

I do an annual clean (using compressed air mainly) of the computer (it's an all-in-one, but the backs do come off if following the right instructions), and replace the keyboard at the same time. Yes, I break keyboards. Not just fading the letters, but the pounding they get wears out the points below. A new keyboard every year for my birthday, and the old one gets attached to the laptop so I don't destroy that! It might last the whole of the following year. Sometimes. If I don't use the laptop too often, that is.
C'est la vie.

Gosh! I didn't know WD40 was petrol! I thought it was some kind of grease. I have a can of it which I've never used, Just as well!
WD-40 gets its name from being the 40th formulation to Displace Water tried by the developers. It's designed to move water from electrical components—not as a lubricant—though that's what people commonly use it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back