• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Hello! Middle-aged newbie here.

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

wes_radman

Basic
Hello everyone,

Wes Radman here, I am from a suburb of Charlotte, North Carolina and just started my writing adventure.

I am a massive fan of fantasy and science fiction, but also love realistic fiction at all levels.

I have always been more a short form writer. I love songwriting, free verse poetry and have dabbled in short stories as well as graphic novels. Wanting to write a novel or a series of novels was never really that appealing to me until last year, when a compulsion to get the thoughts swirling around my head on to paper became evident.

I am a craft beer fan and rum drinker. I am a bit of a foodie and love to explore all types of cuisine, but Japanese, Nepali, Indian, and Caribbean style foods are my favorites.

Feel free to reach out, first day on here so…… I don’t know, what I don’t know.

In order to get feed back on excerpts of my work, what is the correct process in the Colony?
Go and have a look at what is in the Laboratory. You might find it helpful to get familiar with everything here before putting up your work, but we'll all be happy to look when you're ready to post it.
Jonny, one of the sites guardians , will be sending you some welcome info to help get you orientated.

Last edited:
Go and have a look at what is in the Laboratory. You might find it helpful to get familiar with everything here before putting up your work, but we'll all be happy to look when you're ready to post it.
Jonny, one of the sites guradians, will be sending you some welcome info to help get you orientated.
Thanks Vagabond

Whipper snapper. Here vintage is appreciated. Check out some off the videos too. Try the bells and whistles. One thing you might want to concentrate on for awhile is all the info on novel writing. It is different, and much harder than it looks at first. Your thoughts might go better in something like memoir-fiction so have a look around and a think. Look up Chap Book. Welcome.

Welcome Wes. I'm sure you'll find a lot on Litopia to help with your writing journey, from Pete's videos to the various feedback opportunities, and the weekly Huddle. And middle-aged? You're still a young 'un.

Hi @wes_radman , my apologies for a rather belated welcome to the colony. I thought I'd welcomed you but turns out I hadn't.

Nice to have you here.

This is a good place to check out (How-to guide) to see a lot of what goes on in the colony.

If anything is unclear do please contact me and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

Welcome @wes_radman ! You're in good company here with SFF. What have you read lately in the genre that you like? BTW, there's a thread on the forum for book recommendations that has added a lot to my reading list. :)

Welcome @wes_radman ! You're in good company here with SFF. What have you read lately in the genre that you like? BTW, there's a thread on the forum for book recommendations that has added a lot to my reading list. :)
You know I have been in a rut lately, as far as reading goes. Been filling that hole with comic books and manga as of late.

You know I have been in a rut lately, as far as reading goes. Been filling that hole with comic books and manga as of late.
Ah, sounds like fun! Maybe a divergence more than a rut?

If/when you're looking for some good SFF novels, head over to the recommendations thread. As I said, there's a lot of great reviews on there.

Or check out the "Fanfare" posts of Litopians who have published stuff, or gotten some recognition of some kind, and maybe find your next read within the colony. :)

Hello everyone,

Wes Radman here, I am from a suburb of Charlotte, North Carolina and just started my writing adventure.

I am a massive fan of fantasy and science fiction, but also love realistic fiction at all levels.

I have always been more a short form writer. I love songwriting, free verse poetry and have dabbled in short stories as well as graphic novels. Wanting to write a novel or a series of novels was never really that appealing to me until last year, when a compulsion to get the thoughts swirling around my head on to paper became evident.

I am a craft beer fan and rum drinker. I am a bit of a foodie and love to explore all types of cuisine, but Japanese, Nepali, Indian, and Caribbean style foods are my favorites.

Feel free to reach out, first day on here so…… I don’t know, what I don’t know.
Hi Wes,

I'm a newbie out of Lincolnton, NC and am in the process of my first writing adventure as well.

I'm a dystopian/science fiction/apocalyptic fan, and such is what I'm attempting to write.

If you like craft beer, Charlotte and NC in general is a great place to live. Lincolnton has a cool little spot called Untapped that I spend far too much time in.

Kindest regards,

Lance

Hi Wes,
Greetings to you. Hopefully there will be plenty to interest you in Litopia. There are a few of us that like reading and writing Sci Fi, so if you put anything up in due course I and others will be happy to read.
On the alcohoI side, I don't drink much, but living in South West England cider is my preference.
Best wishes Paul

Back