Help! bloody cover letters.

Writing Evil Characters

11 (Warm) Writing Conferences and Workshops in January 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I judge them several ways. And make organied notes in a notebook.

by their social media - what and how do they post on twitter. Do they sound like a person I might get on with. How do they interact with their followers. Are they respectful in their interactions.

By the size of their agency. A company like Curtis Brow would be at the bottom of my list. Actually they're my 'test" agent. I sub to them first. They're a good agency there's no doubt and big comps like them will have more clout in the industry, but they're harder to be picked up by and they might be more inclined to drop you somewhere along your career if you flag for some reason. Having said that if they took me on, I'd be yodelling for a week. But also, you may drown among their many clients. Consider if you want a closer interaction with an agent.

You also want to research what kind of deals they've done recently. It shows how active they are and what they can achieve.

Do they get involved with film deals.

How new are they. The newer the less experience and the less of a name they have with the publishing houses. You don't want Penguin to say 'agent who?' Remember, agents need to have healthy contacts inside publishing houses.

Check if they've ever filed for bankruptcy. Either as a company or as an individual. Not necessarily a prob if they have (people do, it's life) but you want to know so you can judge whether or not you want to go near.

What's the agent's pedigree, as in, have they worked at other agencies. If they surf from agency to agency they may not be that good interacting with folk. Coming from another big name agent however can be a good thing.

What's the tone on their website.

Google their name and see what pings up. I did that once and I found a report of the agent 'standing up' for a woman who was being harassed by guys on a train. She sorted those guys out. I thought yep, a first choice agent because i liked the fact she stood up against wrong. Equally you might find authors saying negative stuff about someone. Or find out they fall out with everyone.

By the other authors they represent. Do they represent authors I respect and whose career I admire? (I'm thinking Mark Edwards for example. I admire his carreer path.). Try find out how long that author has been with that agent. The longer the better. I've subbed to Mark's agents twice over 5 years and he's still with them last time I checked. You often find an author give an agent an endorsement in the acknowledgement section of their book. Read that forensically. Are they just saying a polite thanks to the agent, or do they say thanks to the agent for opening the door at 4 am when they stood outside their house to discuss a plot hole.

Just research and analyse what you find.

If you get a response from an agent, you then continue and judge them by the way they interact with you.

Stuff like that.

A flash website doesn't make a good agent. Analyse their site for red flags.

And listen to your instinct.

Unfortunately it is hard work. But nothing has ever come easy and doing the legwork is essential if you want to find the perfect agent for you Nd your work.

Oh and check if they post cat pics.... the biggest criteria.
Never thought of checking for bankruptcy! Good idea.

Which of these blurbs works best?

Derrick, the last wizard in the world, has had his fill of prophecies. In his experience, they cause nothing but trouble, so when he’s dragged on a quest to find the latest Chosen One, he does whatever he can to get out of it, even if it means stirring up more trouble in the process.

Derrick, the last wizard in the world, has had his fill of prophecies. In his experience, they cause nothing but trouble, so when he’s dragged on a quest to find the latest Chosen One, he does whatever he can to get out of it, even if it means solving some of Feydern's less pressing problems.

All Derrick wants is to be left alone. Safe in his tower and within easy reach of his questionable books, the last thing he wants is to is go on a quest to find the latest chosen one. But life is never that simple when magic is involved and before he knows it, he's dragged from his cosy home by an irritable barbarian to pursue a prophecy he knows all too well. One that will cause him no end of trouble.

All Derrick wants is to be left alone. Safe in his tower and within easy reach of his questionable books, the last thing he wants is to is go on a quest to find the latest chosen one. But life is never that simple when magic is involved and before he knows it, he's dragged from his cosy home by an irritable barbarian to pursue a prophecy he knows all too well. One that will either save or doom the world... but that's the trouble with prophecies

I vote for 3 - with the modifications recommended by RG Worsey. But could your barbarian be IRASCIBLE? Maybe that's too picky.
My own blurb iterations run from 1.0 to 2.5...so 15 total. Sometimes I dont know when to stop.

This may not be the time... but I do believe the blurb should say a bit more about what Derric will meet out there.

Maybe this can inspire:

Luke Skywalker dreamed of adventures out among the stars and alien worlds. But when he intercepted a message from a beautiful captive princess, he got more than he had bargained for―and that was how the adventure of his life began. . . .

This super evocative phrase "adventures out among the stars and alien worlds" is placed at the beginning, when Luke, like Derrick, is inactive.

So instead of using words on Derrick's books etc to describe what he will not be doing, you could consider a similar structure: Derrick, the last wizard, is tired of dragons, enchanted forests (or whatever) but when ....

And honestly, I'm damn bored of it lol.
I want to get on and write my next story. That's the bit i like, but i find myself trapped in cover letter limbo.
I know. I know. Believe me, I do know.

Let me tell you a story:
I finished my book, yelled yippee, opened a bottle... and next morning started working my way through my carefully prepared list of submission recipients.

I was using a letter from Carole Blake's From Pitch to Publication, as she was the only agent I knew of. Nice (deceased) lady, book woefully out of date. I didn't realise how much things had moved on, had no one to advise me. (That letter is now fit only for the bin. Embarrassing. Laughable.)

At the same time, the book itself was on the rough side. Right word-count, spell-checked, read for typos and sense by friends – but that was all.

Cutting to the chase:
I burned a good few agents and several (digital) publishers by sending it out too soon.
You only get one bite at most cherries in this game. If you don't know this, it's vital information: most agents and publishers won't look at something they've turned down already, even years later, even if you tell them it's 'thoroughly revised'. Even if you go for the Fay Weldon advice of 'change the title and the author's name and send them it again', you're taking a huge chance. (OK, it may have worked for her, but that was many years ago, and Fay's luck is remarkable.)

My advice would be:
leave the letter for now. For a week maybe. Do other stuff. Then come back to this thread – there's advice in here that's well worth following.
Do NOT say, 'Screw this, I've had enough, I'm just sending it...'

[BTW, since then I've discovered Litopia...]

But also trust your gut, and I think blurb 3 is great. A wizard who'd rather be in his tower reading books is torn from that cosy life - that's a hook for me.
I agree. First make it as good as it can be – really do the work, polishing – and then, go with your gut feelings.
There are always several different ways to present a book. You choose; it's your book.

Hi all,

I've been sitting on my novel for weeks and have made a submission package, put it all in a nice email ready to go, but I just. can't. hit. send.

I am most unsure about the cover letter. This is what I have so far.

Dear _______,

I am writing to you because I believe you will enjoy my novel The Trouble with Prophecies. An adult fantasy of 85,000 words.

Monty Python meets Terry Pratchett… is how some have described my work.
I wouldn’t be nearly as arrogant to suggest such a thing myself of course, but the fact someone else said it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside – and no, it wasn’t my mother.
She said she didn’t like it.

I currently work as a teaching assistant in a Special Educational Needs school and write in my free time. I have written many books over the years but have only recently found my voice with this latest work. I hope you enjoy it regardless of whether you decide to take it on or not. I write to entertain and hopefully make people smile.

Thank you for your time.
I look forward to hearing from you,

J

Too informal?
What are everyone's thoughts?

J
As mentioned, use of QueryTracker is almost a must. An increasing number of agents only accept submissions via the QT form.

Yes, too informal...And I see nothing about Derrick being dragged out of his comfortable lair to find the chosen one...not to mention the irritable Barbarian.
I'm not seeing the character's journey here.

My understanding was that query letter and cover letters are the same thing, just different terminology.

What's the difference please RG?

Thanks!
A query letter is a letter, possibly containing an extract from the manuscript, that introduces the story, writer etc. If the agent is interested, they reply asking for the manuscript, or opening chapters. This is standard practice in USA.

A cover letter is a polite and brief letter that accompanies the opening chapters (or first 5,000 words) and synopsis that the writer sends to agents. It's usually the body text of the email to which the opening chapters and and synopsis are attached.

I have yet to come across a British agent that accepts query letters - they all just want a submission. Jake lives in Britain and asked about his cover letter, so any advice about query letters isn't relevant.

Last edited:
As mentioned, use of QueryTracker is almost a must. An increasing number of agents only accept submissions via the QT form.
In the US, maybe. I agree a lot of US agents use it, but many still don't. And, I would argue, the older, longer established agencies do not, though one or two of their agents may.

In the UK, it is much rarer. Those agencies that want to use an online form – such as, for example, Curtis Brown – commissioned their own, custom, version years ago.

I stand enlightened. I have only scoped Curtis-Brown and Madeline Milburn in the UK; both wanted blurb or query-style letters plus sample pages and a synopsis. I gather now this is not typical of other UK agencies. I'll have to take a deeper dive into CB before I venture to submit. MM wants 1) an elevator pitch, 2) three comps, 3) a blurb, 4) bio, 5) 1-page synopsis, 6) first 3 chapters or 10K words. Five and 6 must be in a single attached document. Different hurdles for this yank.

A query letter is a letter, possibly containing an extract from the manuscript, that introduces the story, writer etc. If the agent is interested, they reply asking for the manuscript, or opening chapters. This is standard practice in USA.

A cover letter is a polite and brief letter that accompanies the opening chapters (or first 5,000 words) and synopsis that the writer sends to agents. It's usually the body text of the email to which the opening chapters and and synopsis are attached.

I have yet to come across a British agent that accepts query letters - they all just want a submission. Jake lives in Britain and asked about his cover letter, so any advice about query letters isn't relevant.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Writing Evil Characters

11 (Warm) Writing Conferences and Workshops in January 2023

Back