Thought For The Day

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

A story is not an explanation, it is a net through which the truth flows. The net catches some of the truth, but not all, never all, only enough so that we can live with the extraordinary without it killing us.

Patrick Ness

iu

Interestingly, Koi, when put in a fishbowl will only grow up to three inches. When the same fish is placed in a large tank, it will grow up to nine inches long. In a pond, Koi can reach lengths of eighteen inches. Amazingly, when placed in a lake, Koi can grow to three feet long. The metaphor is obvious. You are limited by how you see the world.

Vince Poscente

iu

Yes, but the memory of the pain they caused often outweighs any wisdom they may have had. The words of odious human beings are intrinsically devalued in the minds of, shall we say, the more enlightened. It's how democracy works.

True. I was shocked at how old enmities still existed in Andalusia seventy-two years after the Spanish Civil War began. There was a veteran of the conflict, a rabid supporter of Franco, who'd exiled himself on the mountainside. He came into town a couple of times a year for food supplies, but locals shunned him.

When I chose Franco's quote, I was thinking of the compromises writers are forced into when trying to sell ourselves, everything from composing blurb for the book jacket, to writing a synopsis to aid querying, on to giving interviews.

Interestingly, Koi, when put in a fishbowl will only grow up to three inches. When the same fish is placed in a large tank, it will grow up to nine inches long. In a pond, Koi can reach lengths of eighteen inches. Amazingly, when placed in a lake, Koi can grow to three feet long. The metaphor is obvious. You are limited by how you see the world.

Vince Poscente

iu

You can grow according to the space around you, and within you, whether you find it or create it. The koi don't have that luxury of choice.

All famous people have their supporters and their opponents but regardless can say what they want. In this case so what if he was a fascist? The words have merit of their own in that they tell all of us to keep our opinions to ourselves. It's a shame he didn't listen to himself.

The Fool in his motley is actually a very serious chap :)

The most powerfully numinous card in the deck, say I.

I once met an old man in a tiny place in the south east of Majorca. I was on a hillside street one morning, waiting for my husband and little girls, who had gone in a tourist type shop to buy some little snorkels for swimming off rocks. I waited the other side of the street, leaning on my walking stick, nursing one leg, a bit of pain but I was enjoying the sunshine.

An old man, perhaps in his late seventies to mid eighties, came toiling up towards me and then stopped face to face, and stared right in my face without speaking.

'Buenos Dias, Senor', I said, and smiled to break the ice, and he gently took me by the arm, steering me to sit down on a low wall, then rubbed and patted my arm and carried on his way, but still without a word.

Something about me upset him, and I wondered what might be his memories. Perhaps of loved ones. Perhaps of the times under Franco, who knows.

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

Back