Thought For The Day

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

If there is nowadays a backlash against fiction for not dealing with “the real world”, such poppycock, then I deduce it’s a backlash against imagination, which puts before the mind what was not there before. If we ever lose our awe before this complex emanation from the personality, then we will indeed be ready for the machine age, the hegemony of incessant data and dumbed-down reading.

Paul West

iu

I think it potentially can be, under specific circumstances, namely, after your team has won the World Cup, and you’re drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette while having a foot massage. (This from a life-long Detroit Lions fan, one of the two out of thirty-two American football teams that has never even been to the Super Bowl.)

We are, by nature, dissatisfied. It's what keeps us motivated to do stuff. However, as @Monarch pointed out there are moments of supreme joy followed by a short period of relaxed contentment when the mind shuts down and leaves us in peace. They also make the best memories.
So true, we need those moments occasionally. They give us the motivation to get back up afterwards and go back to work!

Without me the literary industry would not exist: the publishers, the agents, the sub-agents, the accountants, the libel lawyers, the departments of literature, the professors, the theses, the books of criticism, the reviewers, the book pages – all of this vast and proliferating edifice is because of this small, patronised, put-down and underpaid person.

Doris Lessing

iu

The door of a bigoted mind opens outwards so that the only result of the pressure of facts upon it is to close it more snugly.
Nicely said. Most doors open inwards and most people aren't bigots. I once insisted our builder reverse a door when we built our home. Being Thai he thought I was nuts placing any importance on it but the idea of pushing a door into a visitor didn't sit right. Same with the truth I guess.

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

Back