The Colony—Finding 'The Others.'

Facebook, anyone?

Fanfare! Mannequin accepted by Work Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
The latest bulletin from Zen Pencils was delivered to my inbox this morning. It's a piece of advice from Timothy Leary, the counter-culture psychologist, author and pioneer of psychedelic drugs, about how we need to search to find 'The Others'—fellow members of whatever tribe we belong to.

102. TIMOTHY LEARY: You aren’t like them

It struck me, that this is what we've done by joining The Colony!

Then I wondered, in a whimsical way, about how I'd recognise a fellow writer out in the wild. Would they be like me, somewhat distracted and living in their fictional world, scribbling down ideas on a shopping list as they navigated the supermarket aisle. Possibly they'd be muttering to themselves, as dialogue was tried out and rejected.

In a library or bookshop, an author with a work in progress might have an expression that mixed delight at being among books, along with annoyance when they saw the works of a writer they despised and whose success they didn't understand.

For my own part, I spend so much time alone indoors writing and editing, only venturing outside for a couple of hours a week to shop for food, that I sometimes feel like a creature on parole from a zoo's nocturnal collection. A bushbaby blinking at the light, wondering at all of the people going about their normal business.

613med.jpg

Writers have rarely hung together as a class... which is one reason why they’ve been so badly exploited over the decades. A few exceptions, e.g. Writers Guild strike, prove the general point.

“The writer” is also the quintessential individual... an intensely personal vision shared with readers but hardly ever with other writers. Almost Ayn Rand territory. So no... I’m not sure you’d ever really be able to recognize a fellow writer in the flesh... :)

It's always been my experience that recognition only arises from conversation, that "Oh my God, I'm a writer too!" moment. No one has ever suspected it of me, and I've been surprised as heck by some of the people I've met in those moments. Without exception, though, the conversation then always evolves into something special instead of trailing off after the typical niceties and small talk are through.

I have to confess that I am not keen on meeting other writers, at least in the real world. I tried a creative writing course once and the experience put me off for life although the embittered lady who taught the course made me smile given her passive-aggressive comments about our efforts. But she only inspired a sort of loathing mixed with finding her rather sexy in a scruffy sort of fashion although it only provoked me to be as controversial and lacking in the necessary politically correct group think mentality that seemed to be almost institutional in this particular adult education establishment.

I saw a quote recently that said writers were a bit like fleas in that we did not get much nourishment from each other and that made me smile. Perhaps we are meant to be isolated for our well-being and probably that of others around us?

But she only inspired a sort of loathing mixed with finding her rather sexy in a scruffy sort of fashion although it only provoked me to be as controversial and lacking in the necessary politically correct group think mentality that seemed to be almost institutional in this particular adult education establishment.

Quite a picture :) More or less everything that can go wrong with creative writing courses...!

I saw a quote recently that said writers were a bit like fleas in that we did not get much nourishment from each other and that made me smile. Perhaps we are meant to be isolated for our well-being and probably that of others around us?

Paradoxically, I do believe that writers can benefit enormously from contact with each other... maybe not fleshly consummation, but certainly platonically. Hence, of course, Litopia.

Before Litopia I would sit all day with my laptop, an endless supply of coffee, an online thesaurus, hair that needs a wash, multiple handwritten notebooks, scraps of paper littered with poems and short stories and pictures surrounding me (these would be written at social gatherings), a dog that needs a walk, and a wife that tries to understand my need for words.

After Litopia I do exactly the same knowing that I'm not alone.

My experience is that whatever tribe you join, there is always a pissing contest. I either end up either feeling inferior or battle to produce the longest stream. 'Clubs' are not something I enjoy. Interaction at a distance is great, and as in Litopia, one can review one's post before committing. I delete 25% of the posts I write before posting them. Litopia works for me.

I also didn't have very positive experiences while reaching out to Wtiters Group's. I felt that there is too much of a cafeteria/kindergarden atmosphere, totally not my thing and also not very productive. The writing club was fun while it lasted, but the people tehre were obviously not ready to commit to producing a piece each month, so it dissasembled after a short while.

As for the rest of the Real Life... I actually never met any other writer! One of my ex-colleagues claimed to be a poet, but has never shown or discussed any of his works. There are few amateur painters among my acquaintances and a lot of musicians (thanks to my partner). Other than that- I know (only via FB) a girl who writes gay Star Wars fanfics :D

Last edited:
I know a few. The north west is a writing hotbed. They invariably do other things as well. I'm sure we've all encountered the dreadful local poet who has no idea how yawningly, cringingly awful their writing is, but this lot....some seriously blimmin' good poets and writers.

I find that I very much enjoy the company of other writers and they are the best new friends I have made since moving to the other side of the country - acquaintances made through a reading group and a writing group. Have to admit, I've also met at least one person/writer with whom I would never be alone -- not even in an elevator.

I think meeting in forums such as this is the best way. Also you tend to develop a kind of friendship with a few via the CP/beta reading process. Those links are very important, at least they are to me.
As for being able to recognise another writer in some public place, I'm not sure. I've never done so yet, but then like some of you, I'm not very attentive when I'm in the ordinary world.

Is it possible that every tribe needs a writer? And that writers have a need for other non-writing tribe members to do the everyday things like whatever we call the modern equivalent of hunter/gathering?

That interpretation would make this forum less of a club/tribe and more of an oasis of refreshment and enlightenment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facebook, anyone?

Fanfare! Mannequin accepted by Work Magazine

Back